Then what ?

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

With only one season of hybridizing attempts and 19 seeds planted, this is very premature. With that said, what's next ?

The Seeds grow into nice little rhizomes. Those rhizomes bloom. (hypothetically) What exactly does one look for in a new cultivar? .

So, now I have what I think is a winner (Debby Rairdon was a one shot wonder). Then what ?

As near as I can tell, the nearest Iris Society is at least a 5 hour drive in good weather, so I'm hoping for answers here. This would be my personal "Field of Dreams".

South Hamilton, MA

You can buy the judges handbook from AIS--it gives the standards for all classifications. Look on www.irises.org and find the 'Storefront'.

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

In addition to becoming familiar with the judging guidelines, you should visit the websites (better yet, the living gardens) of the larger hybridizers, esp. those known for producing award winning irises. Those are the hybridizers who are on top of the current trends in iris form, color, and performance. Study all aspects of their iris plants' characteristics. That's the best way to get a handle on what is popular now and where the trends are heading.

Laurie

South Hamilton, MA

If the iris society is too far for driving, still contact them & find out about any members closer to you & ask those members if you can visit their gardens. You're well off seeing how the plants grow in your area.

Lebanon, OR

Are you talking about tall bearded or shorter? that is step one

D

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks D. For info only, let's say TB.

I will order the Judges Handbook.

Because I am soooo not a trend setter and like to go my own way, I did some pollen dabbing ('08) using historicals and whatever I was in love with last Spring. I did 10 different iris, 5 set pods. Between bugs, bums, elbows, deer, rabbits and a false pregnancy, I ended up with one lovely pod. Galway X Unknown. Galway (IB) because of the color, substance and number of bloom stalks; the unknown because it makes rhizomes like crazy, it has that lovely 'iris' scent, the blooms are nice, with very tall stalks.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

What is the process for getting one registered, introduced and out into the market ?

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

If one uses another hybridizer's iris, what credit is due to them ? Are registered culitvars patent protected ?

Lebanon, OR

Grannymarsh

OK, today none are patented that I know of because of the cost and genectics.

First you would have to check to see if the name you want is taken as many are reserved, such as I have about several names reserved as I did not want them taken and I know that others do this as well. Next you go to the AIS site and you will see under links there is one for the registra and you get the form fill out send it in with the $10.00 and wait for them to tell you yes you have that name.

Next either you intro it or you have a grower who will intro for you. You do some advertising.

Hope this helps

D

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

And don't forget that when you intro one you need alot of them, everyone wants one, I am hearing about 100 of one cultivar.

A good start for advertising is the AIS Bulletin.

Can we see the newby? Do you have a picture?

Cindy

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks so much D and Cindy.

Besides being curious about the whole process, I'm just getting my ducks in a row. I've been growing iris for 30 years, just loving them. 20 yrs +/-; received a Schreiners catalog and bought some of theirs. Having children to raise, I couldn't afford to buy much. I had no idea that there were more places to buy Iris until DH bought a computer and I found GardenWeb and Daves. A whole new world opened up. It just seems logical to take the next step, for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. I do have a HIPS display garden and enjoy that.

A photo of the 'newbies' would be premature. Ha !!! picture would be of a frozen pot !!! Still, I am excited to see what will come of it.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Well when you do get a bloom, display it for us, it is exciting to see a creation !!!!!

South Hamilton, MA

The parentage of irises is listed in the registration. pod parent (perhaps your own seedling) X pollen parent (whichever other hybridizers plant you use). K.Keppel is very good about listing the parents in his catalog so you don't have to look them up yourself. You know which plants do well in your area so it is a good guide. Glad that you discovered the wide iris world.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.