Scolopendrifolium rubrum alias?

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

I saw an Acer Scolopendrifolium rubrum on a garden tour which looked nice, but when I search for that in catalogs I found very few suppliers. (There are a few more for the green form A.Scol.) One source on the web says that it is also known as Atrolineare. Is that true? A few pictures of Atrolineare do look somewhat similar to S.rubrum.

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Sorry I have been away so long... I have been busy with my web site and JM business. hello to all of you . I have already anwered Don personally on this since jhe emailed me directly but thought you all might also be interested ,

I had the sanme question as Don several years ago becuase i wanted a Red Sclo to go with my Green Scolo which has done well here. I got two answers from old timers who should be in the know . I don't think they got along well from my answers ;>) ...One stated flatly they were differnt and the other that they were the same . Neither seem to respect the others opinion much . So goes the lack of much scientific knowledge in JM world ... Alot is just experiencial and word passed down from the "elders". I have what is suppose to be both and can see little if any differnce . There are many reasons for this . maybe they are differnt and as many JM's the differnce is minimal. Or maybe the names got screwed up along the way and they are the same . As I told Don It probably doesn't matter much since they look identical...Both seem very hardy and to be slow growers here . have nice color that hold long into the season and have good fall red. I have decided to just use the the name Atrolineare since that is the most widly used one for this cultivar type. It is a very nice Linearilobum that does well , like mosrt other Linearibums do in this area . David

Milford, DE

Hello David

I was wondering if you started grafting yet? I have and the winter so far is being a bit cruel with all the freezing rain/sleet and below freezing temperatures. Not much snow.
Very difficult to cut scions in this freezing weather, not much of a window with the warmer days.

Oh well, I am told this is winter live with it.

Dave

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Hi Dave I willl email you directly . But to the larger group this has been a very bad winter here . Those of you that have had alot of snow should consider yourselves lucky!! We have had extended cold below freezing temps in the teen and twenties in the days and single digs at night . Along with that couple of really cold nights we all had a few weeks ago well below zero when daytimne temps didn't get out of single digits .With a "mullching" of snow I would feel much better about things . And anything in the ground that is not a twig should be alright unless it's a delicate cultivar which shouldn't be there anyway . This year I left several of my larger 15gal and above containerized trees out . We shall see if I was foolish or not. My hope is any root death will be partial on those and they will do ok. I am not too woried about the in the ground JM's since they are established and have shown hardiness. I still feel unless you get -25 type temps your greatest fear should be a repeat of the spring freeze of 07 or any late freeze that happens after leafing . especially if it is prolonged. And also frozen earth with heavy rains that sit on top flooding your trees.... I have seen this in a couple of low spots and have had big losses ( don't plant there no more) But we will know more in about 2.5 months. David

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.