Rumex Acetosella

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I have this nasty weed completely taking over a bed under a large old conifer. Each season, I pull it out about 3 or 4 times. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a photo.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/32317/

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

It's a rhizomatous perennial, so you aren't likely to make a lot of headway by pulling it. If you are comfortable using herbicides, a little bit (few drops) of Tordon RTU applied to the fresh new leaves in the center of each clump when the plant is actively growing should kill it. Keep in mind that Tordon will kill most broadleaved plants and is persistant in the soil for several years. The idea is to apply just enough herbicide to each plant to kill it while minimizing any collateral damage. If you just spray and area with Tordon, you won't be growing any broadleaved plants there for a few years. Also, you shouldn't use Tordon where the water table is within 20 feet of the surface.

Another option would be to apply lime to the area it is growing in. It doesn't grow well in alkaline soils.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, KSBaptisia. I've never worked with that product. Please, why do you recommend it over Roundup? Is it because it stays in the ground working whereas the RU disipates? This bed is heavily planted with bulbs and perennials.

The conifer drops lots of needles, so trying to change the PH would be a challenge.

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

If there are a lot of other broadleaf plants in the bed, you might try Roundup first and see if it works. But, I've never found Roundup to be very effective on the really tough perennial weeds. It turns the tops brown, but doesn't stop them from coming back.

Tordon RTU is pretty much a last resort weed control for me. I prefer to control weeds by pulling them or, better yet, by not creating conditions that are favorable for their establishment and growth. Sometimes it doesn't work out that way, obviously.

As an example, some Field Bindweed showed up in my iris bed last summer. Roundup is ineffective against bindweed and pulling or digging it is futile. But, a few drops of Tordon RTU on each vine and that's the end of the bindweed. Of course, irises are monocots so it is relatively safe to use Tordon around them. If you are careful, it can be used around desirable broadleaf plants as well, but there is obviously more risk with them.

For what it is worth, I would NEVER spray Tordon over an area. I only apply small amounts of it to individual plants. And, like I said before, you shouldn't use it at all if the water table is close to the surface.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you, KSBaptisia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.