Beneficial nematodes and horticultural molasses

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

I just purchased beneficial nematodes. I haven't applied them to the garden, they're on a sponge and it's in the refrigerator. The man at the nursery said I could keep them that way for a week at least. I also purchased horticultural molasses for feeding my benefical microbes. Which should I add first? Will the molasses hurt the nematodes? My neighbor uses the BN for controlling lots of pests, even fleas and ticks. I am applying them for control of cutworms. My gardens are totally organic and I haven't even used any organic sprays in over a month so the BNs should be fine.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Will the nematodes kill your earth worms?

Jerry

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Jerry, according to all of the information I could fine, they do not hurt healthy earthworms. I don't have a lot of earthworms yet. For the last three years we've been trying to get the soil back in shape and two flower beds do have plenty of earthworms. I may have to transplant some to the garden.
The package of beneficial nematodes that I bought has three kinds of BN's. They have specific hosts that they prefer like cutworms, termites, fire ants, etc.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks Calalily. Reason I ask is because I have thought about the BN's for my garden.

I buy Semaspore to kill grasshoppers from Planet Natural and they also carry the BN's. Thought I might give the BN's a try to use on grubs and cut worms.

Jerry

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Hmm. What is Semaspore Jerry? Never heard of it. I've tried Nolo bait, but it didn't help much. I can't treat the neighbors yards too and grasshoppers go where the food is. How does Semaspore work?

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Here, you can read all about it.

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/semaspore-grasshopper-bait.html

Jerry, did it work like it was supposed to? Sounds better than Nolo bait.

Canyon Lake, TX(Zone 8b)

Quoting:
Jerry, did it work like it was supposed to? Sounds better than Nolo bait.

Yes, but you have to be patient and follow the instructions. It is not a quick remedy.

Jerry

Hmm. Ok. I wonder if the grasshoppers are supposed to be bad this year. The robins sure do like them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.