Question about Gherkin cucumber seeds!

Collegedale, TN

Hello;

I am not new to gardening although this question probably sounds dumb. But here goes anyway:

My family absolutely loves those little pickled dill gherkins that you can buy in the store but I am wondering if there are special seeds that they are grown from. I tried picking regular pickling cucumbers early one season and they tasted terrible. So, I assume that there is a special variety that are grown for these pickles. The only seeds for Gherkins that I find are for the exotic ones that look strange. But I am looking for seeds for those tiny cucumbers that look just like a large cucumber except in miniature! Thanks so much for your help!!!
-Rachel

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

rachel - i have just gone through my 6 seed cataloges and this is what i think you are looking for.

you are right about choosing pickling cucumbers but according to what i have read its the size the cucs are when you pick them that matters the most. . they have to be picked very early when they are about two inches long. here is what i found in several of my books. park seed www.parkseed.com) has a variety called alibi hyrid which this say is "the best for sweet gherkins, reaching 4 inches long but usually picked much smaller, this delectable pickler arises in great numbers on compact, highly productive plants.)

www.johnnyseeds.com also has alibi on their cataloge

burpee www.burpee.com says it best "pickling cucumbers are shorter, blockier - designd for the pickle jar as well as the sandwich. they also yield heavy crops of fruit over just a few weeks

harvest them at any stage to make pickles of any style - tiny for gherkins or sweet pickles, larger for whole garlic dills and the jumbo slices you will want for burgers, party platters and sandwiches"

i hope this answers your question

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 9:04 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.