Will Ficus carica roots lift up driveway?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

A friend of mine recently planted a Ficus carica tree (cultivar unknown) about 6 feet off the property line, and his neighbor is concerned that the roots are going to lift up her driveway sometime in the future. Anyone know if F. carica roots will do this? The tree is definitely close enough to the driveway that the roots will get underneath it eventually, but I wasn't sure if this was a tree with lots of surface roots that would have the potential to damage the driveway or not.

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

My question would be; does it get deep watering where it is planted? That might keep its roots close to home and deep enough.
CC

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They have a lawn and I think the ficus is in/near it, so I suspect it'll probably get shallower more frequent watering.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Figs in general do have a bad reputation for thick surface roots damaging stonework etc., so I'd think the answer is liely to be yes.

Resin

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks...that's what I was afraid of. I was hoping this particular species might be better behaved than some of its relatives but it's probably best to assume the worst in this case and find a better place for the fig.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.