Yellow iris?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have lots of iris, at least by my standards, but I don't have a really good bright yellow iris. I do have a very old fashioned one that blooms nicely every year, but I would like a modern iris with wider beards and a nice egg-yolk yellow color. I would also like to have one that is a good grower so I won't have to worry about it blooming out or failing to increase.
I have Miami Beach which has not yet bloomed for me, but I would really like to know if any of you can name an egg yolk yellow iris that I can plant and that will grow really well.
I have heard numerous members claim that there are too many yellows, but the truth is that I don't have any modern yellows. Help me figure out what to order. It should be modern but it doesn't have to be all that modern.
I am eager to see what everyone's favorite yellow is.

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi pajaritomt! I like really bright yellows, and Trumpet Call is a great multiplier for me. The rhizomes get very large here.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2009 7:08 AM

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

My second favorite yellow has got to be Tuscan Villa, it also multiplies fast here and is very bright and modern

Thumbnail by Tntigger
Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

Love the Sun is a bright yellow.

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Devine Light is a pretty yellow.

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Love Tour de France.

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Tntigger, really love Tuscan Villa!

Greeneville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks! It really surprised me on how fast it grows here

Lebanon, OR

It does well here in OR as well.

D

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i really like Harvest of memories, it's a reliable rebloomer for me in zone 7, this picture was taken in december 2008:

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN
Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

my second favorite is Here comes the Sun:

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, lots of great suggestions here folks! They are just what I was looking for. They would really set of my blues and intense purples. Thanks for your suggestions. Now I have a list to look for.

Cherryvale, KS

Sarah's Laughter I have Miami Beach (K Keppel) and Amarillo Frills that are very bright!! I came in second at our local show with Am Frills, my stems were to long!!LOL

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have Miami Beach, but it hasn't bloomed yet. I was wondering how Amarillo Frills performed. It is very attractive. Were your stems too long because it was growing in shade? I didn't realize stems could be too long. But I have a lot to learn about judging.

Lebanon, OR

In Judging for a show, everything MUST be in perfect propotion. We had a JI that was on the floor and only people over 5'5" could see the blossom, so it did not place and it was breathtaking (forgot the name)

D

Loysville, PA(Zone 6a)

pajaritomt,
According to a pic posted by 1913cat on the thread...Winter Boredom #5 ..I'd say Throb looks like one you would be interested in. I know I am. Maybe 1913cat will respond back with the growth info .

And Mshadow,
I just got Tour de-France in 08....WOW ! Can't wait to see it bloom

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Here is THROB, it is an excellent grower here with HUGE blooms

Thumbnail by 1913cat
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have Throb! It has never bloomed because the first place I planted it was way too shady. So I moved it to a better place and hope it will bloom this year. It spent last year recovering from its awful location the first two years. I agree, its pictures are beautiful!

Santa Ynez, CA

Well endowed is awesome huge flowers, grows well for me and it is a re-bloomer....

Thumbnail by makj
Santa Ynez, CA

here is another shot....

Thumbnail by makj
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

ummm.... Pretty. I have a feeling I will end up with yellow iris interspersed throughout my garden!

Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Nicky, where did you find Sarah's Laughter. Must have that for my dd Sarah! *Sigh* didn't need a longer list, lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.