Anyone hear ever grow Amaranth?

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Want to add it to my experimental garden this year and wanted o know if anyone has grown it here

Thanks
BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Which type do you wish to grow BB. The leaf type which subs for spinach or the grain type? A. tricolor or A. cruentus. Or do you wish to grow one of the flower species?

I thought they were all one in the same Farmerdill. At least that's what the catalogs led me to believe. The variety I was looking at was Love Lies Bleeding

BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Ah. A. caudatus, the flower. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2/. There are several cultivars. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/adv_search.php?searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=amaranthus&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=caudatus&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&searcher%5Bgrex%5D=&search_prefs%5Bblank_cultivar%5D=&search_prefs%5Bsort_by%5D=rating&images_prefs=both&Search=Search I have seen it, quite striking but I am not into flower growing. Another amaranth that most old time flower gardens held is Cockscomb, Globe amaranth is also striking.

Is it a multiuse plant? I was interested in trying to use the various parts

BB

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

As far as I know, A caudatus is only used as an ornamental. A. tricolor ( Chinese spinach) is used both as an ornamental or an edible green. Many of them have varigated colorful foliage. As ornamentals they are sold under such names as Summer Poinsettia, Josephs Coat etc. There is also A. viridus (Chinese spinach, Yin Tsai) which used excluively for greens.

Thanks

http://www.dmoz.org/Home/Cooking/Grains/Amaranth/

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Grains are challenging to grow in adequate quantity for most home and market gardeners. A. viridus can be found in several forms at the Buford Highway Farmers Mkt.. It's operated by the Asian community and specializes in those fresh foods. I don't know where they are getting their produce from, but do know that north of us, ethnic communities farm community gardens and grow specialty produce for sale at larger markets.

If you're thinking of globe amaranth or cockscombs (I think not because you are usually into food growing) I've a bunch of seed of the former here some where. As to the later, I grew two types one year, plumosa which makes plumes and cristata (which makes things that look like corral rock). They crossed and reseeded prolifically. The volunteers became more bizarre each year, and the object of neighborhood jokes. I finally ripped them all out.
Laurel

Do you have pictures of your freak plants? I would love to see them

BB

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

BB....

I grew all kinds of amarantha last year. They definately were the talk of the neighborhood!

Would be happy to pass on seeds to you (or anyone else). I collected from all plants grown in my yard.

Just send me a d-mail.

carole

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

Hi Bronx Boy, I grew love lies bleeding and a tri-color last year. It almost took over, I don't think I will try them again. The plants grew so tall that they had to be staked. If you try some make sure to put them in the back of your flower bed. Close to a fence might be a good idea, then you could tie them up. They are very colorful though if you are trying to brighten up a drab spot in your garden. Sharon

Thanks Sharon:

How did they do in the heat?

I don't have pics, and I did mean coral (not corral)...as in brain coral. They were all colors of orange, yellow and red. The brain coral ones, which are very stocky, had plumes poking out of their "brains" and the plumed ones had offshoots of coral in their flowers. Indeed freaky!

Zombie Amaranth

Too Funny!

Broxton, GA(Zone 8b)

My amaranthus held up very well in the heat. The bed I grew them in did not receive a lot of water and they still grew like crazy. They just covered up my other plants. I made the mistake of planting them in front of my buddleia and bronze fennel. By August I was ready to pull them up. If I could find a dwarf form I would probably try them again. Sharon

Lilburn, GA(Zone 7b)

Laurel.....

I had some of those weird ones also.....got a 6 pack from Lowes with what was supposed to be the lower growing plume variety. They did have nice plumes at first then started growing freaky. I like the unusual, so I was delighted. Should be interesting what the seeds grow this year.

I won't beg anybody....but have TONS of seeds....different varieties...would love to share

carole

We may have veered from the original intent of this thread, and I hope Farmerdill is still looking. The Celosia that we are discussing...is it a true Amaranth (as in edible seed)?

Carol, thanks, but no. This was twenty years ago and the thought of those "brains" and plumes curbside at our in-town house is still vivid! Birds liked the seed. The flower heads make interesting (if not bizarre) arrangements and dry well. I do recommend them if someone has the space and is looking for something unusual. Just be aware that you will not know what will pop up from plant to plant. You can selectively thin when they first start to flower though.

Laurel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.