Moving irises in spring?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I ran out of time this passed fall to move all my irsies that have been over-shadowed by growth of bushes and trees. I need to de-construct several beds that have become over grown with neglect this spring and was wondering if it would hurt the irises to move them early spring in my zone.

Peggy

Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

One year I moved one of my long rows as soon as the ground thawed, and none of those irises bloomed that year, but I live in zone 4. I am not sure for your zone.

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

i move iris year round.

they live and most bloom, sometimes a bit later than normal for the cultivar. i am in zone 7.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I'm in zone 8. Good to know I can get these moved at the beginning of the season. Not worried about blooms just not killing them.Most are named var. from long ago when I first started gardening so you know I haven't a clue as what their names are now.

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

its almost impossible to kill an iris. I have dug them up and left them on the ground for an entire fall, winter, and spring and they grew like crazy once i put em back in the soil. Of course it will set them back but they will survive.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Boy,what would we do without irises and daylilies in the garden. Beautiful and TOUGH!

I do not need nor have room for any more of either.....unless I cut down a bunch of trees then what would I do with my hydrangeas,hostas and ferns?

Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Lately the moving of the iris have been simply replanting those which either the armadillo or dog have dug up, but the bottom line is they do just fine! No harm done, it's just do annoying!

Carolyn (is it spring yet?)

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

9 weeks and counting before spring officially arrives....*S*

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

almost time to start the tomatoes!

Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

I live in zone 8, as usual we are on a roller coaster with the weather. Almost 80 one day, then the next it could be 25! It always amazes me how tough plants are. The rose bushes are already budding out, as is my silver maple. The bradford pear has flower buds and the daisies are getting larger each day. I know January can be our worse weather as far as temperatures are concerned, but I as so ready for spring. Spring green is such an amazing color!

i love the color of iris fans after the first thunder storm in the spring. Maybe its me but the irises seem such a vibrant green after the storm.

Grandview, TX(Zone 8b)

Rain, what is that?? I vaguely remember that? Wet stuff, falling from the sky, right? We are seriously behind in rain. Hard to believe I have to water in January! But you know what they say, be careful what you pray for! Last thing I need is a torrential downpour.

Its been a very rainy here in NC and a very snowy winter in MI, where my garden is. Hopefully its not a dry year.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The year we moved I dug gobs of iris up from the home farm....I tossed the roots in cardboard boxes thinking I would put them in the ground immediately if not sooner upon arriving at the new place. Well silly me....never realizing it is quicker to dig up an acre of perennials than to lay them back down.. so the iris kept getting set aside and set aside and laid in those carboard boxes from May until I think it was the next sring. They got dehydrated, but I planted them anyway and they still grew. Most of them were bearded talls and afew dwarfs. 7 years later they were still growing until the big floods hit them.. then I lost quite a few.

Since then I have been phasing out the beardeds because of the flooding and the garden had been always the survival of the fittest. Seems so far the daffs and the DL's do the greatest. That is now why I have so many DL's.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.