January Daily Weather, Coming out of the deep freeze ?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

New thread, old one is a bit long for some systems.

Maybe warming this weekend. We will see.
-14º now, no wind!

We came from http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/941447/

This message was edited Jan 15, 2009 6:23 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks for starting the new thread, Bernie. I'll re-post our weather for tonight:

Tonight: Clear
Overnight Low 8°F
Precip 10%
Wind: NE 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 40%
Sunset: 5:20 PM CT
Avg. Low: 27°F
Record Low: 10°F (1979)

(Zone 3b)

Thanks for new thread~ loved "visiting" w/all. Kelli, intersting to see the bones of the landscape.
Peanut's cute as ever:)
marsue~yes, above freezing and schools/etc shut down; just can't cope with the heat:)) Just heard they may remain closed tomorrow.
Remained in low 40's today; hopefully will return to freezing soon.
Keep warm all~

Thumbnail by kiska
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Temps are in the teens and it's Dyson Dark.

Supposed to be even colder tonight and the wind will pick up too. After that we go into a warming trend. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 20s. I might have to wear shorts when I go get the mail. LOL

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

7° (Wind Chill -6°) might drop a few degrees toward morning.
It appears this evening will see the frigid temps end.
By Saturday we will be back in the mid 30's.
Our normal high for this time of year.

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Cold and breezy, I didnot see thermometer above 22 degrees today. Supposed to just get down to 6 deg tonight then warm up next week.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I hate to brag, but Minnesota just beat Wisconsin in basketball at Wisconsin. We had never won there in many years. Thanks to coach Tubby Smith!

-21.3º Brr!
Tomorrow should be better. You guys in OH & PA, are your temps extra low also?

Later,
Bernie

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

The temps are going down here, it was already 32 last night and freezing a bit.
Lee, that is so funny...also about the aliens!LOL
Sharon, that is one cutie!
Kelli, I love those houses and land, wow, so beautiful but so very expensive! Love your pics...the window seems like a turtle!
I received some pics from a friend who spent Christmas in our Carpatian mountains, at Bran resort. The view, during summer, is very much like the second house for sale you posted.
Here is a view over the resort Bran.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The trees on the road.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

A closer look.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Bernie – Thanks for the new thread!
Kiska – Is that Mama moose and her twins? They’re close LOL!
Adina – Beautiful pictures!

35.6 °F
Clear
Windchill: 36 °F
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 9 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.51 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles

Freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Wind Chill Advisory in effect until 10 am EST this morning...
Hard freeze warning in effect from 11 PM this evening to 10 am EST Saturday...
Freeze watch in effect from late Saturday night through Sunday morning...

Today
Mostly sunny. Cooler. High 45. North winds 10 to 15 mph. Wind chills 21 to 25 in the morning.

Baby it's cold outside LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Meese!
It's amazing how something that big can survive in temps so low.

0° (Wind Chill -13°)
We 'might' hit the mid teens today.

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's cloudy, fairly calm and 34°F this morning. Slowly getting lighter outside, sunrise is now at 10:52 am and sunset at 4:23 pm. Since winter solstice, we've gained about 30 min. of daylight in the mornings, but almost an hour in the afternoon ..... don't know why it's so uneven ..... anyone know?

Lots of great photos :-)

Kelli - those properties both look great but so expensive! Great photos from your hike and I love the look of those mandarins!

Sharon - lol at poor Prissy! She's taking the abuse very well! lol

Kiska - Interesting about schools being closed because of the warm weather ..... are there a lot of dirt roads there? Somehow I've always imagined that Iceland was the only country that still had dirt roads out in the country .... surprised to learn that they're so common in the US.

Adina - beautiful photos :-)

My new year's resolution was to stop watching the news ... I couldn't take any more bad news. Things here are horribly bad altough I'm trying my best to ignore it. Prices are getting so high that you can't ignore them though ..... I just realised a few days ago that our fruit and vegetable consumption has plummeted ..... they've become an ultra luxury. When I was preparing for Hildur Eva's birthday party I had a slight shock when I saw the price of strawberries.... I only bought two boxes although I would have needed 4 .... payed about the same price as 4 would have cost a few months ago. That's pretty much the story .... imported stuff costs twice as much as it did before. That really puts a big dent in your wallet ...... sigh. Needless to say consumption of imported goods has gone way dow.

We have a new saying ... "this is so 2007" referring to something being extravagant, showing off etc.

Well hope all of you will have a great day! and that those of you in the deep-freeze will manage to stay warm.

Rann

The birthday girl with her big sister :-) Thanks for the well wishes :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Sharon - Sweet pea is so cute! lol We're about the same temperature this morning! ;-)

This was one of her presents .... the lights change color, which is VERY cool! lol I bought this and most of her other present in november before the prices went sky high. I couldn't possibly buy her one of those dresses now .....

edited to add: The Christmas tree is still up because the birthday girl requested to keep it until her birthday ... and because it's fake we could oblige her ..... it's coming down today ;-)

This message was edited Jan 16, 2009 11:53 AM

Thumbnail by rannveig
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: it's actually warmer in Iceland today than it is in Arkansas! I'm amazed!
Hildur Eva is pretty in pink, as usual, and she makes a lovely princess!! :o))
Sharon: your little "princess' has a satin blanket, no less! LOL
Adina: those are some great pics of the resort in the mountains.

It's cold here today but warming up starting tomorrow. Supposed to be up near 60 by mid-week.
Current temp. is 15º

Today Mostly Sunny
High 34°F
Precip 10%
Wind: ESE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 25%
UV Index: 3 Moderate
Sunrise: 7:15 AM CT
Avg. High: 49°F
Record High: 69°F (1980)

Tonight: Clear
Overnight Low 22°F
Precip 0%
Wind: SSE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 48%
Sunset: 5:21 PM CT
Avg. Low: 27°F
Record Low: 10°F (1972)

I'm heading off to a one day seed swap in Mississippi tomorrow. I'm riding along with Kathy Ann--a DGer who lives about 40 miles from me. We are meeting up about 6:30 in the morning and heading out on a 4 hour drive. Looking forward to seeing some Mid-South friends again and meeting face-to-face with some whom I haven't met in person yet. The temps should be in the 50's so it should prove to be a good day all around!
Y'all have a good day!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good morning! The birthday girl is beautiful, Rann. My bunnies will be oohing and aahing over the dress! ^_^

Have a wonderful time, Marilyn!!

We're warming up just a bit after today, so Deb & Sharon should be warmer in a couple of days, too. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CST (26 min ago)
Temperature 36 °F 2 °C
Dew Point 21 °F -6 °C
Humidity 54%
Pressure 30.68 in 1039.1 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir ENE 70°
Ceiling 10000 ft 3048 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 30 °F -1 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 36.0°F / 2.2°C

Today Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Cooler. Highs around 50. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
Tonight Partly cloudy in the evening then becoming mostly cloudy. Lows around 40. East winds 5 to 10 mph.

Peterstown, WV(Zone 6a)

Good Morning!!! I was in the middle of a post & 'voi-la'! we lost electricity for 2 hours. It was starting to get kind of chilly in the house! At that point the temp was 8° w/a wind chill of -7°. Right now we have a temp of 9° & the wind chill is still -7°!

Clear: 9°F
Feels like: -7°F
Barometer: 30.6 in
Dewpoint: -4°
Humidity: 52%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: NA
Wind: 13 mph W
Sunrise: 7:36 AM
Sunset: 5:30 PM

Bernie, Thanks for the new thread!
Kiska, Your 'meese' really like it at your house! :D Gorgeous shots!
Rann, Both of your girls are soooo pretty. Glad that Hildur Eva's birthday was a great one! ;D
Adina! What Gorgeous Shots! :-O
Sharon! LMBO!!!
Ric, You can keep this cold! I don't want it if we can't have snow to go w/ it!
Marsue & Se_eds! Stay warm!

Well, I think my project for today is to make some candles...just in case. ;)
Have a great day! :D
Joey

(something else from a warmer day)

Thumbnail by music2keep
(Zone 5a)

Blue skies now, calm and still around 34°F. Gorgeous day :-)

Mau - sounds like a fun day you have planned for tomorrow :-) Have a great trip!

Joey - love the "warmer" shots! :-)

Thanks Marylyn - you can just imagine how happy she is about that dress! lol

Turning a different color ;-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the weather around here and might have light snow here and temp. down to chillllllyyyyyy!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=64801&hourly=1&yday=15&weekday=Friday

Rann, what a gorgeous dress! I wish I had one when I was her age!LOL And great cake too!
Joey, nice to hear from you ! Great shot, especially when it's so yucky outside...
Mau, it's great you're meeting some DG friends! How's Friday?
I was so impressed with the pilot who made the plane land in good conditions in NY...and all passangers were well!God bless him and all the passangers!
It's raining now and Dyson dark...and, above all, I'm working all day tomorrow...ugh! But this will be a good thing to finish my new article.

(Zone 7a)

Catching up again.

Mau, have a great day!

Sharon, Peanut gets cuter every day. Prissy is lucky Peanut isn't any bigger! lol

Rann, I was thinking when I saw the first pic that Hildur Eva looked like a princess and I was right! Such a pretty girl. Both of them are gorgeous. Love the cakes.

Joey, if it's getting that cold, you should make some really BIG candles!

Stay warm, everyone!

30°F with 46º for the high. It's already warm out. It does not feel like 23º to me.
Feels like: 23°F

Barometer: 30.7 in ↑
Dewpoint: 21°
Humidity: 65%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: NA
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunrise: 7:49 AM
Sunset: 5:25 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Oregon, 2007.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Trenton(close to), TX(Zone 8a)

34 in Iceland!!!!!!! It ain't fair!!!!!!!
It was a miserable 14 degrees here this morning!!!!!!!!
11am, it is still only 26. I hate cold.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2009 11:35 AM

Correction : it's snowing!!!!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Welcome Wildcat! Dang it’s cold for you!

Ric – I always think how amazing it is that a Finch manages to survive in freezing weather.
Rann – The girls are so pretty. Hildur Eva looks like a Princess! That dress is darling. They are growing up before our eyes.
Mau – The blanket is satin on one side and the soft thermal on the other. It keeps her warm when she wiggles out of sweater (like she did again this morning). Have fun at the seed swap!
Joey – I have got to see the New River in person – the pics are gorgeous!
Rusty – Brrrrrr!
Adina – Jeff’s real job is with USAir, he was very upset yesterday when it first happened, but very happy when everyone survived.

46.0 °F
Scattered Clouds
Windchill: 42 °F
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: 4.3 mphfrom the NNE
Wind Gust: 9.7 mph
Pressure: 30.54 in (Falling)
UV: 5 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Looks worse than what it was. They do this all the time. Prissy doesn't bite just gums Pea LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

Sharon, Monty plays like that. He'll kind of bounce his teeth off you. No biting. I trained him young. Isis, on the other hand, will take the hand off, if she can! LOL

Welcome, Wildcat! Brrr! That is cold.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

My son & I were watching TV news the other day. Some dumb reporter said there hadn't been a air crash in 2 years. We said that's a good way to cause one. It happened , too.

We are now at 6º, but a nice stiff south wind.

Bernie - LMAO!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I think Bernie mislabeled this thread. It would seem that we are all still in the deep freeze, not coming out of it, except for Kiska and Kelli! Stll cold here--currently 23º. The 50's tomorrow are going to feel like a real heat wave!!

Adina: Friday is doing just great--he is like having a toddler around the house--constantly into something. Like a child, he gets bored with his toys so I gave him an empty tissue box to shred and shred it, he did, in about two seconds flat!! I think I might have to get him a kitten to play with--I couldn't handle another puppy like Friday--LOL!!

Sharon, I'm also happy all turned out well ! Is Jeff a pilot? Cute picture!
Mau, I'm so happy you have Friday to keep you company , he is such fun! Buck also does this with boxes and bottles.
He was out for a run in the snow this evening.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Still snowing at 10:30 p.m.!

Thumbnail by adinamiti
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Freezing cold, partly cloudy and we have a dusting of snow on the ground. Even the house is chilly.

I need to get the thermometer fixed. Can't figure out why the thing won't show the outside temp anymore even though I changed the batteries. Sometimes technology is so annoying.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Hildur Eva looks like a princess, and I'm glad you were able to get her some nice gifts before the prices went up.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PST on January 16, 2009
78 °F
Clear
Humidity: 10%
Dew Point: 18 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 30.19 in (Falling)
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

morning glory

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We are getting warmer, 6.8º. Lot better than the -20º last night at this time.
Supposed to hit 30º tomorrow!

Went to Mankato & set up for the flea market. It is Sat. & Sunday. Took along a china cabinet we made for MIL. It & a bookcase are on display. Now I have to figure a price.
I would like to sell a couple items this weekend. Of course they would be ordered for later delivery.

Dealers are down this month. Suppose everyone thinks nobody going to buy. But look at the malls, there is no shortage of cars in the lots. Looks like the Christmas shopping season!

Bernie

(Zone 3b)

Have a good weekend everyone.
Here's a copy/paste from today's newspaper. (Anchorage):
"Another "Pineapple Express" is carrying another warm-weather storm north from the tropical latitudes of the Pacific Ocean,
with wind gusts forecast to reach up to 100 mph.
Hilltop and Alyeska ski areas were closed, as were Anchorage schools, although school activities are occurring."
rann~what a princess~I can just imagine how thrilled she is.
41° Rain

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, Kiska - (41 deg and rain.) It was exactly zero at 8 AM this morning with a light breeze. Warmed up to 10 degrees here in Millersburg Penna. rural area. Supposed to be 4 deg tonight - but then it was supposed to be 6 deg last night. We will have almost a week of this weather before it warms up. Thank goodness winds are abt 10 mph, keeps the wind chill down. LOL

This is the coldest spell of weather we have had in years. Pennsylvania must be experiencing global warming.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it got down to -4 (Wind Chill -13°) this morning.
It was 0° when I posted but dropped as I drove to work.
The speedometer was going wonkie!
I was going somewhere between 60 and 70.... the needle kept jumping.

It was gorgeous though after the sun came up.
I was outside at noon, no wind and 5° the sun was actually quite warm.
I would have been perfect hiking weather.

It's 9° now and no wind chill.
We aren't going to Tub tonight.
Too great a temp difference and it's too hard on the heater.....
Almost a hundred degrees is hard to keep going.

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

CG, if I lived in a vacuum and didn't know what was going on in other places, based upon my own little world, I would say that there is no economic problem at all. I don't see any fewer people in the store. I wonder how much economic panic is generated by the media.

Kiska, so that is where the Pineapple Express has gone. When it comes here, it brings rain. We haven't had rain since Christmas.

Ric, I think it would have to be warmer than 5F for me to go hiking.

happy cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

kelli~that is so pretty; I see another glass project there:))
Hope the Pineapple Express does a quick u-turn and gives your area the rain.
ric~maybe tomorrow will be better for hot-tubbing>>

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Temperature is on the move, just jumped to +13.3º. Looking for 30's tomorrow. That's 55º higher than yesterday morning.

Media does a lot of forcing things the way they want.

Our big state newspaper, Minneapolis Star Tribune has filed for bankruptcy. People are reading the news online or on TV. I listen to a very local radio while working in the shop or greenhouse. It is at least a day ahead of paper. Also covers any local car crashes, deaths, & small town sports & events you never see in a paper.

As I sign off, +13.5º

Bernie

Celia – Looks like Monty is ready to take a bite out of Isis in that picture! He has that paw pulled up ready to slap.
Bernie – Good luck at the market today! I hope you sell lots of furniture!
Adina – Jeff is a chairman for the EAP (employee assistance program). He handles grievance (LOL been lots of that in the last couple of years), addictions, etc…
Kelli – That is a happy cactus!

My take on the issues is the media is talking about is tourism. People are not taking vacations like they did is years past. Tourism here has dropped off to a critical point. There are many people who have lost their jobs in the resort/hotel/restaurant businesses. "Snow Birds" are usually here from November thru March, but the are not here this Winter. Our roads are generally filled with out of state vehicles...not this year. The economy is terrible. There are many closed shops and restaurants all over the island. It will be interesting to see how the Spring and Summer fares. People are buying here, but for the most part they are buying necessities only.

Mau this just may the the perfect place for a vacation :) LOL!

36.3 °F
Clear
Windchill: 37 °F
Humidity: 61%
Dew Point: 24 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.48 in (Falling)

Hard freeze warning in effect until 9 am EST this morning...
Freeze watch in effect from late tonight through Sunday morning...

Today
Mostly sunny. High 50. Northeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.