When to plant Onion plants?

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all,

When is the best time to spring plant onion plants here in Atlanta?
I missed fall planting. :(

Also, are there any local sources to get nice plants?

I'm thinking about ordering some from Dixondale Farms if there aren't good varieties available locally.

Since there is a significant price break the more bundles you order, if anyone else in the Atlanta area would be interested in ordering together please let me know.

Thanks! :)
Danita

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Danita:

Plant around Valentines Day. I did last year and had the best crop of onions I ever had.

BB

Fitzgerald, GA(Zone 8b)

I always plant in November or early Dec. I usually buy sets from Cox Farms in Vidalia. He usually has an ad in th Market Bulletin & sends good counts.

Danita:

I order from Dixondale. I was planning to order next week.

BB

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks to both of you!

BB, do you have any varieties you'd particularly recommend?

I thought I might at least try a sampler of the short and intermediate day types and some Granex.

Also, I know that the bulbs go dormant and that's when you harvest. I also know that the short day types/sweet onions can only be stored a few weeks. Can you just leave the dormant bulbs in the ground and use as needed during their summer dormancy?

Danita:

Last year we grew:

Texas Supersweet
Yellow Granax
Contessa
White Bermuda
Walla Walla

All did very, very well. It was the first year that I could really say I grew onions.

As far as leaving them in the ground, the problem is that over time they start to get mushy. We had better luck pulling them and storing them in a wire basket.

BB

Fitzgerald, GA(Zone 8b)

The yellow granex type is the onion variety that they grow for the Vidalia onion sales that are so popular. I grow organically & everyone tells me that mine are sweeter than those that they produce in that area.

When the onions mature, they should be pulled up & left on the soil for a few days to allow the onion to "cure" out. Then store them in mesh bags or old pantyhose in a dry area & they will keep for several months.

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I just ordered the granex type seeds from www.henryfields.com. Do you think it's too late to plant them after the last frost?

JoAnn

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Joann, Granex are short day onions which means that they bulb up in the short days of spring. Your plants would be really small. I'd sow the seeds this summer and plant out in early fall like they do in Vidalia. They'll overwinter outside and then you'll get big onions the next spring.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the info BB and Webrown!

BB, Walla Walla is a long day type and it did well for you? I thought the long days types wouldn't bulb up for us here due to shorter days.

Danita:

I planted them in the fall and let them overwinter. They didn't get huge bulbs but the ones I got were a usuable size.

BB

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Danita, Bronx Boy

If I sow the seeds indoors now and plant in the spring will that help? When you say overwinter, does that mean I leave them in the ground or dig them up?

When I say overwinter, I mean in the ground.

You will lose a couple of months if you wait to the Spring. I plant mine in February

BB

I grew my onions from seed in fall, Granex type and they are in the garden now and bulbing. Looking good too!

Atlanta, GA

do you know the phone number for Cox Farms. I am trying to contact them. Thanks!

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

ggg, did you put the seed in a seperate box, or plant streight in the ground?
Also, when do you expect to harvest?
Yes, I'm full of questons, because I have never grown onions.

One other question, and thats everyone, when do you plant garlic bulblets?
Mike

Danita, thanks for bringing up this subject. Mike

Hollywood, FL(Zone 11)

May I ask what type of soil onions does well so I know how to amend my Ga. clay soil?

Thanks All.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.