Wanted: Salvia vanhoutii-Brazilian Sage

Albany, ME(Zone 4b)

This is a tall, wide plant (4' x 4'). Here in Dave's Garden I see Brazilian Sage is associated with salvia gua???? (I forget). Digging Dog Nursery has salvia vanhoutii/Brazilian sage, but they require a $30 minimum order and then tack on $24 shipping and handling! I only wanted 3 plants.

So, I thought I'd try the seed.

In return I have...

Summer Nights delphinium, dianthus knappii (yellow), dianthus barbatus - black adder,dayflower,portulac margharita

If anyone happens to know of another mail order nursery that has it, that would be great, but I did search the web.

TIA
LAS

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi there,
Salvia vanhoutii doesn't set many seed and it usually doesn't come true. You should have better luck finding someone with rooted cuttings to trade.

You may want to talk to Richard at World of Salvias and see if he'll have any this spring. He also posts a lot on the Salvia forum here on Dave's which you may want to check out too. http://www.eclectasy.com/gallery_of_salvias/

Good Luck! :)
Danita

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey LAS, I am looking for Brazilian sage Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue". If you happen upon that one for a reasonable price, please shoot me a dmail 'heads up'. I hear that the hummers and butterflies go bonkers for this one. Thanks. :) Stacey

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

"Black and Blue"??? Sorry folks but they are very common around here. Walmart sells them in the spring for maybe $5 in a 6 inch pot. Maybe check out SC nurseries for them, somewhere around here someone is growing a bunch of them. Mine grow fast so there is no need to get huge plants.

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

My salvia van houteii does manage to cough up a few seeds but not until autumn or winter here..........send me a dmail then if you havent managed to get any seeds, they do tend not to come true though

Thumbnail by annette68
Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Any luck Las? Apparently "black and blue" is a pretty common plant; wonder why I never see it here.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

B&B shows up a lot here at Lowe's potted as a gallon size annual in the summer. It often doesn't have the name on it but just say something like "Annual Salvia."

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Ah ha! I thought I had seen it before, but they had it marked as an annual so I thought it must be something different. I can't count the number of times I have found things at Lowe's or Home Depot incorrectly labelled, even with the wrong species sometimes! Very frustrating. What are they doing selling plants that they don't even know what they are? I'm sure many a consumer has gone home to find that their plant ends up dying or not being what they were expecting.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Part of it must be because things are labeled for northern gardeners, where B&B would be an annual. The other part, I imagine, is economics. A big store chain like Lowe's or Home Depot will buy their plants from the grower with the best prices, not the best knowledge of plants.

They still try to sell plants like Delphiniums here in the middle of the summer too. I warn people that they hate the heat here if I see them in their buggy. I'm not sure if the store orders their own plants or if they just get sent stuff by corporate but they really should eliminate the plants that are guaranteed failures.

I do like Lowe's though because they have a wonderful clearance rack where I've gotten some great plants, including perennials like B&B, for $1 or less. My best deal were some mislabeled Salvia greggii hybrids for 10 cents each! Stingy old Home Depot won't mark their stuff down.

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Wow 10cents for a Salvia greggii; I just paid $5 each for 6 of the "Cherry Chief"s (benefit prices though). Wish I could have gotten a steal like that. Instead, I keep buying things only to find out they weren't what I really wanted or paid for.

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

Yeah, that's disappointing nurturing a plant along and then it blooms and you find out it's the wrong thing. Come to think of it, I only buy plants in bloom or on the clearance rack from Lowe's. Mostly from the clearance rack! :)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

One time I was at Home Depot and they wanted some large, outrageous amount for a Bouganvillea toward the end of the summer. I really wanted one, but all the blooms are gone, since it's the end of the summer. I asked them when they might mark theirs down and they said they don't. They return them to the vendor. I guess they have such buying power that they can request stuff like that. HD and Wal-Mart. I used to do some work with Wally's corporate and some of the stuff they make us do in order to do business with them is wasteful and inefficient but they just want to prove a point that they could make us do stupid stuff...

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Just saw Brazilian sage Salvia guaranitica "Black and Blue" at Lowes yesterday. 4 in pot...$3.98
I have a good sized plant (well, a bit raggity right now since our 3 nights of hard freeze, but lots of good green still underneath). Let me know later this spring and I'd be glad to get some cuttings out for trade.
mj

Lubbock, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks MJ! I might take you up on that. I read that these guys are pretty fast spreaders, to the point of being invasive sometimes; so I figure if I can get one healthy one going, it will eventually spread out and fill in a nice sized area. Thanks again for the offer! :) Stacey

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Warning, Black and Blues don't like much water. My neighbor killed about 10 of them last by putting them in an irragated zone. Mine is on a sandy hill with no irragation and likes it there. They do spread easily.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Mines on the southeast corner of the house, on the outside of the bed where it has lots of room to spread. I had to move a smaller noid red Salvia cause it was over taking it. This spring I'm not going to put anything near it so it can have lots of room all to itself. It's so pretty, and BF's, Hummers and Bees really love it. And its been very easy for me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.