Will the hard freeze hurt bulbs?

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Haven't posted in a while. Like many of you I'm sure, I have bulbs that have already started coming up, with buds showing and everything. I'm not that worried about the daffodils because only a few of them have buds showing, but all of my hyacinth buds have started coming up. When it's 15 degrees, does it even do any good to try to cover them up? It will certainly still be below freezing beneath any covering. I knew the plants were getting all mixed up. My flowering quince thinks it's March! Thanks!

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

All of my daffodils have sprouted. I mulched them with pine straw yesterday, but doubt if that will keep them from being killed by frost in this weather. I only had buds on a few, but don't know if buds will form if the leaves are dead. I don't have hyacinths.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I wouldn't worry about them, I have seen my dafs bloomong in the snow with no ill effects. I have several large buds about ready to pop too.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hyacinths usually bloom before or with daffs, so I'd think they are more hardy. Still, if it's not too late, I'd throw a layer of straw over everything. 'teens are really cold for us. Even if your hyacinth blooms are damaged by a hard freeze this year, they are so hardy, it won't hurt them for next year.
Laurel

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

I had received 5 daffodil bulbs through a trade about 2 weeks ago and planted them in a pot. They had already started to sprout and are about 2" tall so I put the pot in the carport. Hopefully, they'll make it.
JoAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.