Think Spring! SWAP discussion thread for Feb. 21 seed party

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This thread is for talking about SEEDS! The organization and logistics thread for the lunch & seed swap is here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939638/#new

Please feel free to post about seeds you have available, seeds you are looking for, etc.

It is not necessary to arrange swaps in advance, but it can be helpful in figuring out what seeds to pack up and bring along. You don't need to post your seeds on this thread, and in fact you are welcome to come to to lunch just to socialize and not swap a single seed. :-)

I would appreciate people being restrained about bringing potted plants, unless the weather permits a parking lot swap. One potted plant for the gift table is fine, but otherwise please try to limit yourself to bagged cuttings.

Please do try to package your seeds ahead of time, marking the packets with the name of the seed (including botanical name if possible, to help people look up information on it), and with your DG name. Year of purchase/harvest can also be helpful.

I know we're going to have a blast again this year!

Thumbnail by critterologist
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

This isn't about seeds, as such, but rather about a "group purchase opportunity" for seed starting pots. I think I'm going to need more sheet pots (aka cell pack inserts for trays) this year, so I'm looking at placing an order with Growers Solutions.

I'll be ordering a case of 606 Jumbo Sheet Pots (36 deep cells per tray, http://www.growerssolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GS&Product_Code=606j) and 806 inserts (48 cells per tray, http://www.growerssolution.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GS&Product_Code=806&ShowShip=1). Both of them are perforated so you can split them easily into 6-packs.

Accounting for shipping, I can offer 7 inserts (either size) for $5 to anybody who is interested (or 14 for $10, etc.). Please let me know if you'd like some (which size and how many, preferably in $5 increments to make accounting easier)

If there's a lot of interest, I may order a second case of either size.

I will not ship these inserts. If you can't come to the party, please plan to pick them up at my house. You can pay me when you get them.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'll get back in and edit with my few seeds

Gourds- can be in my van- I grew seven bushel gourds,, about the size of a soccer ball, or a little smaller, and a few nice birdhouse shape gourds, and a bunch of spinning top (tiny)gourds and no idea what I want to do. They are drying nicely. Holler if I should have some in the van. ...Crafts...?

Fresh seed from Pinetree one each to share
Early butternut squash semi-bush
Marigold nematocidal variety, yellow bloom, 2-3 ft tall
Coleus Palisandra very dark/black
Edible soy bean Envy
Melon Minnesota midget
Parsley flat leaf Neapolitanum
Parsley triple curled

From my garden
Heli--heli---scabra, the not chocolate daisy
Salvia Forest Fire, although slight chance of it having crossed with Coral Nymph
Columbine seeds, some child of a tallish deep blue ne and some doubles

Cuttings houseplant
Super healthy golden pothos
Pigs ear kalanchoe

Other--I'll bring small samples of rice hulls, new idea for adding to lighten pot soil

I may have a few more things to add, but I'm not bringing tons of stuff- I'm there for the conversation.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2009 7:45 PM

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm bringing my seeds but they are all last years other than some of my MG. I would like some butterfly weed or Scarlet milk weed seeds. Coming mostly for the talking, too.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm bringing little packs of Solanum mammosum (not hardy), Black Locust (Robinia hardy in PA), Cassia marilandica (hardy in PA), Cassia hebecarpa (also hardy in PA), Baptisia australis,( hardy in PA) Variegated yucca (hardy in PA), Solanum kante keri,(not hardy) Black hollyhock, Lapyrousia cruenta "Joan Evans"(not hardy) , Beach peas I found in Delaware hardy to zone 7, Red Papaya (Tropical), Puerto rican peas (not hardy). I also will be bringing cuttings of: Cryptocereus antonyanus, Hawaiian spider plant babies, Walking iris (Neomarica gracilis), cuttings of Tradescantia "Maiden's blush" (Spiderwort). The cuttings will be in sandwich bags. I have to see if I have a shoebox to put these things in. Any requests from this list will be honored first. Thanks, Buttoneer (Judy) If you are not sure what these are, please google them & look for the images. Thanks.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 12:03 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd love a Hawaiian spider plant to replace my ailing one! Mine "caught" scale from my lime tree... I'm trying to rescue it, as it took a long time for it to start throwing spiders... but I'd love a backup if you have enough to go around. :-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure, have plenty of backups. Is that the white scale or the brown hard ones?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

the brown hard ones. I'm thinking of trying alcohol on the leaves, as I've done for other plants. Can't use a systemic, as Eliot-kitty likes gnawing on the "spiders."

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, the only way to get rid of this scale is to take an old toothbrush you aren't going to use anymore, and brush them off or pick them off with your fingers. I know it's yucky but it's the only way I have been able to get them off. I have an Epiphyllum given to me many years ago from a friend in the Czech Republic. (she sent me a pad) and it grew a little bit and developed this scale. I got tired of it just sort of sitting there for years, so I took the hanging basket down and an old toothbrush and brushed all the pads. After that, the plant TOOK OFF and is growing like a weed. I have to do this every once in a while, so they don't get ahead of me & kill the plant.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 4:42 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, I've been rubbing and brushing... LOL On plants that can handle it, rubbing with a little alcohol on a paper towel seems to help prevent recurrence. But it's a bother!

After poking around, I think that's actually Drimiopsis maculata- itsin plant files. Its been a very easy houseplant on the size scale of petite Spath, but with fleshier leaves with some freckling. . Grows from a hyacinth like bulb which looks like it will easily come off with scales making new plants. Its happy on my chilly windowsill.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

When I got it 20 years ago, that was the name they gave me but whatever the name, it's a cute little Caudex.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sally, I bet your spinning top gourds would make great ornaments. Maybe we should get together and try some things with them... I have a couple birdhouse gourds I want to either paint or try a woodburner on.

yep, I should look at the gourd forum for some ideas.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally take a hint from today's article, get out your scissors and old seed catalogues and decoupage them. I have an egg shaped gourd that I have been saving for some kind of project. Think I might just do that today.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Critter, what is OSB that you mentioned on the other thread? Thanks. Buttoneer. Judy S. BTW, Bec no va & I will be chatting on SKYPE for free. You good people ought to look into that. Judy S.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

OSB = Ornamental Sweet Potato

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

oops, good thing Chantell speaks typo! Yes, I meant OSP, ornamental sweet potato. I saved tubers from both my 'Blackie' and 'Tricolor', and I've already got a 'Tricolor' started for slips (looks like it will come true, too). So hopefully I could provide slips of either color for those interested.

Somebody mentioned that their 'Blackie' tuber had dried up... I've got one that has dried up any number of times; amazing tough little thing... I just add water to its dish, it puts out new roots and starts growing slips again. It's been doing this for a year, so I think it's about exhausted, LOL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Anyone interested in some very limited Canna seeds? Of course they'll be a surprise but here is the info on the "parents"
Mother plant: Canna x generalis 'Dawn Pink' here's my photo of her blooms http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/207725/
Only canna close by her...so I'm fairly certainly this would be the mix:
Canna x generalis 'Wyoming' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3302/

Hmmm just read on 'Dawn Pink's' plantfile profile that someone states they've come true from seed in her opinion...
Also might be digging up the 'Wyoming' tuber if anyone's interested

This message was edited Jan 21, 2009 12:18 PM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill: Thanks for offering the insets. I'm mulling about it, and have a question. The link describes them as "Vacuum inserts made of polystyrene sheet material." What does the word "vacuum" refer to?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I have no idea. LOL Maybe they are vacuum molded or something?

I've ordered these before (or something that seems just like them from another supplier), and they are like any other black plastic 6-pack inserts. I really like the deep ones for pepper and tomato transplants and anything else that likes a little more root room, but there are also things I do each year in the 48 cell trays just to save a bit of space under the lights (and I'm tired of paying over $1 apiece for those 48 cell ones at DPF, which is part of the reason I'm ordering from Grower's Solution this year).

I think I'm going to go ahead and order 100 of each size, to be sure of having them sooner rather than later (remember the cow pots that arrived an hour after the swap last winter? LOL) If we get a lot of interest and end up needing more, I'll just order again.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill -- I wouldn't need many, given that most years I plan to start seeds and then don't. Let me check how many I have kicking around here.

Have you found an easy way to fill the little compartments? I remember getting really frustrated (or at least severely bored) doing that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I put the tray and the inset across my potting bench (that old washtub that I think you've seen), heap damp potting mix in, press it down, and brush any excess back into the tub... yeah, it's boring, but it really doesn't take that long.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I read the description at the top of this thread & it mentions SEEDS but I will be bringing rooted cuttings of plants. Can't we talk about that? Buttoneer

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Since I'm talking about bringing OSP slips, sure we can talk about cuttings... How should I title the thread? "Swapping Stuff without Dirt?" LOL

But thanks for reading the intro! :-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Naw, just seeds & cuttings would suffice. But it's YOUR thread, so you call it whatever trips your trigger. I divided my Hawaiian spider plants yesterday & there are a lot to share. I am dividing my Dietes grandiflora (African Iris) tomorrow, so there will be several of those. You could use them for a doorprize. I can bring in pieces of Huernia (Stapelias that don't smell), (the one with the wine-colored small flowers), that can be very easily rooted. I have more of the Drimopsis tubers, I also have some of the hardy potato vine, I'll be bringing in several species of seeds, etc. For some reason, I seem to be able to grow more divisions than what produces seeds in my garden. I can also bring in a low light plant: SIDERASIS FUSCATA :Spiderwort" or "Bear Ears" Thick rosettes of fabulous rusty-haired wide chocolate leaves with central silver band, brilliantly described as resembling a "Gay 90's sofa cushion". Needs warmth and perfect drainage to flourish. You can see it on Google. I divided my Chlorophytum orchidastrum (pix included) and will bring in one or two for a door prize. Maybe more as I divide.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Buttoneer - now THAT'S a cute plant!! If you have an extra rosette - and would be interested in this http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/140549/ I'd love to trade

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Ooh, I would love some of those baby "seed potatoes," please! I'll try them in a deeper container this spring... :-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, you have D-mail, Critter, I can bring them along.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Button! I'm sure I can find something for you... I just have to get past this pepper seed craziness before I can get swap seeds together. LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Judy - I responded sadly that plant has nothing to share right now...I'm praying it'll make a come back.
Sally - do you have any of the Pigs Ear you might be able to bring Judy a cutting of? Nothing like putting you on the spot, eh? Sorry.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I just checked, and my Pigs Ear is doing OK... I have 2 tall stems that I can lop off for cuttings (probably should anyway to make it branch, right?)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Just a FYI: Walmart has spring bulbs (left over from last fall) for $ 1.00/bag. I picked up two bags (12 bulbs in each bag & they were very good) for $ 1.00/each, a bag of Black Iris, Blue and Peach with two starts each bag, also $ 1.00 each bag. We had to go through all the bags to pick the ones that were still green. I am bringing a beautiful pinky-red Amaryllis ($ 4.00 closeout price at Walmart) for a door prize. My question is, should I soak them in water and plant them in the greenhouse or put them in the refrig to keep them dormant til Spring? Anybody that knows, please let me know & thanks. Buttoneer

This message was edited Jan 22, 2009 11:33 AM

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

If anybody has the variegated kalanchoe, I would love to try this. You could bring a rooted leaf or unrooted. Whatever you have & thanks.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you Jill...not sure if it branches or what...such as easy plant - unless, of course, you're a horrible plant mommy and leave it out in the cold - ugh!! Can't believe I did that.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Chantell, I think that's the way I lost the first ones you gave me. You've got dibs on my cuttings. :-)

Buttoneer, I wouldn't soak any bulbs in water. I would assume bulbs like daffs need some cold treatment, so I'd put them in the fridge for maybe 6-8 weeks. Bearded iris rhizomes I think I'd also put in the fridge for now, maybe soak them for an hour first if they look really withered, but if they're still plump just store them until spring.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

The Iris & the Dutch Iris are dry but the leaves have some green in them, so I will soak them for an hour, dry them off & put them in the frig in an onion bag which has holes in it. The Tulip bulbs are plump and trying to start. I guess I should put them in the frig, too, right? I have some Tigridia bulbs I forgot to plant so I will just plant them in moist soil, put in the GH & see what happens. TYVM for any info you may send my way on this. Are any of you going to Walmart to get the bargains?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Dutch Iris and Tulips will both need cold treatment... if you want to force them, then I think (not sure) you may need to make room in your fridge (or other cold but not frigid-freezing spot) for a pot of bulbs in moist mix.

I still have some things in my own fridge, so I don't need to make a WalMart run... but if I happen to be in the store... ;-)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, but the iris bulbs are withered. Shouldn't oI soak them first, dry them out, put them in onion bags in the frig?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd be careful about storing them in the fridge. First, I think you need to be sure you don't have any fruit in the fridge. But also, the defrost cycle keeps the fridge very dry. I had some lilies in the fridge, and some that I meant to plant but lazily left outside for Oct - Dec., in plastic bags filled with sawdust. The ones outside did great, to my shock -- the sawdust got damp and the bulbs were plump and beautiful. The ones in the fridge shriveled up.

Now those aren't irises or daffs -- but still. If they were mine, I might be tempted to put them in a big pot with drainage, add some shovelfuls of dirt, and leave them outside.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.