Daphne's & more...

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

mike, It probably would grow for you and bloom a lot earlier than here. But one hot day, and you would lose the bloom. It does take humidity and heat, but to get it to bloom and for the blooms to last, it must be cool.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

i had one in arkansas for a while, untill i killed it by overwatering...i stupidly had sweet violets planted underneath and was trying to keep Them going....but for a few years it was thriving with hot noon sun.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

and yes, a 'rose daphne' is on my list.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Dabneyrose, The excessive spring rains have done that to lots of plants here in the last 2 years. I had lots of Heuchera younglings just drown and other plants just rot. Earlier this month the rain killed two poppy plants.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

0 gee, i killed mine 8 years ago! it has been that long since i've smelled one! :( but i remember they are incredible!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Luckily I put mine right above what was the cactus patch...read: copious amts of grit beneath the soil....LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

that's a nice tip!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

four little daphnes got mailed to me today....boy am i smug. thrilled. and more thrilled. these guys will go into pots as i hope to move 'soon'. i hear well draining soil and morning sun so far.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

ahhh Dabney - I'm so excited for you...you got some Daphnes!!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

yes! from your friend Mike! i sent him some prunus mume cuttings and they took 5 DAYS to get there! they were all but dead, i think :(

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Did you send them Priority? I only ask b/c I've been having a bit of a challenge with those pkgs actually only taking the 2-3 days...

Kannapolis, NC

Don't even get me started about the postal service. You pay extra for Express Mail, which is supposed to be USPS's equivalent of FedEx's next day delivery, but guess what? USPS doesn't guarantee next day delivery. So what are you paying extra for? Regular mail usually gets there just about as fast as priority mail, too. Sheesh.

You might as well dance!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

yes, it was sent priority!!!! :( :(
anyone try UPS?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Not for plants - we ship my bosses guitars UPS but had a buyer say how much better and cheaper USPS was...go figure

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

USPS did get Dabney's plants in two days, I still haven't heard from Chevy Chase Md., witch was sent at the same time.Our son has a Fedx ground service near winter park.I'll have to ask how theirs works.
I spent twice as much to Chevy Chase, simply because I sent the shipment in a used box marked "flat rate".The lady (only lady) working the counter ask if I wanted to get a box, and re lable it.I looked at the twenty five standing on one foot, and declined. Mike

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

hey, Mike, what kind of babies are these healthy looking cuttings you took? yes, these did arrive in two days.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.