Little Owl (Athene noctua)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Thumbnail by Resin
Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I would love to see a wild owl. Where and when is the best place and time to see them?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Hi Kniphofia

They're never easy! There are a few Short-eared Owls around at the moment, tho' not as many been reported this month as last month; best spot is Holy Island at the moment. Tawny Owls are resident in several woods, but you have to be very lucky to find one visible during the day (they usually roost in hollow or thickly ivy-covered trees). Little Owls - the one in my photo (near Dinnington) is sometimes visible in the day, but more often not. Barn Owls - best spot at the moment that I know of is the fields just south of Cresswell Pond, at dusk, sometimes a bit before dusk if they're hungry (e.g. wet and windy the previous night making hunting difficult).

Hope this helps!

Michael (Resin)

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Thanks for this great info! My sister lives opposite a park in Ashington and heard a tawny owl through the night recently. I go to Cresswell quite a lot, I often see birders near the pond. There's a huge difference between hearing an owl, seeing one and actually getting a photo! :)

Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.