On Patenting.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I got a card in the mail today from these folks:

http://www.hortisusa.com/index.htm

I know nothing about them at all-- just posting this since the question of registration, grower's right, patenting comes up every now and then regarding our home-grown hybrids an such.

Has anyone heard of them or made any inquiries?

R.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

I just went through their website and there is almost no information there.They have a few links and a "contact us" button and that's about it.I think I will keep my money in my pocket.

Kind of vague...

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

ditto what gordo said. Hiya Raydio!

When you do find out the actual cost of plant patenting, make sure you're sitting down...EXPENSIVE!!!

I haven't gone any further into the site or into the issue of patenting. It would be a good thing if you have a large marketing concern behind you-- a "proven Winners" kind of thing that would promote and sell your plants on a large scale.

But with Hippeastrum being what it is, on a mass scale in the market right now, I wonder if such a deal could be found, really.

I still think that the US needs a registering body for hybrids completely independent of the Dutch industry. That would be enough for me.

Hi Voss!

R.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2009 2:15 AM

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Raydio types>>I still think that the US needs a registering body for hybrids completely independent of the Dutch industry. That would be enough for me.

That would be wonderful.Who do we know that has lots of time on their hands?

The American Amaryllis Bulb Registration Society

I think this is what has been lovingly, in the ancient past, called "innovation".
I like the sound of it and what it portends.
I like that it opens avenues and brings relief.

*Congratulations, Raydiomeister - you're a mother.

I would imagine one would have to have papers drawn up, set up a corporation, get some publicity going, get a P.O. box, obtain paying members, set up a governing board, then hunker down for the cannon fire coming from Europe. Bulb wars. But, after the dust settled, a new and nearer resource for American bulb horticulturists would exist. Quite an accomplishment and one that would have significant impact on the production of new bulb varieties.

All we need is a Moses to part the waters and get us to the other side of this...

;-)

Ah, yes, a return of an American Hippeastrum Society....

IS it possible for an American amaryllis "industry" to return? Can a small group of devotees change the marketplace and create anew or re-create to some extent, the once-thriving niche? Why not "buy American" when you can?

I think your outline, Gordo is spot on. "Bulb war"? I hope it would never come to that. It harks back to the idea of what agreement there is or isn't between the Dutch industry and the US plant industry, even the small grower. Hopefully there will be mutual respect for intellectual and real property so that both may co-exist peacefully. The problems that might arise might be discussed at present, but shouldn't be the deciding factor re: creating a US registry.

The grower's rights issues are thorny but must be addressed at some point. Looking at the Hosta Society, I see that anyone who buys a registered hosta can start selling the same as soon as they can. I wonder if this is an issue at the Hosta Society? Perhaps one just takes their credit and forgets any monetary return, save that to be had while it is still "exclusive"? Again, the registering aspect is separate from the "patenting" aspect and the organization might not even take a part in that issue. That would be a part of its constitution/charter, wouldn't it?

Another issue *might* be one of either allowing any hybrid to be registered regardless of the degree of true uniqueness. I believe that all are accepted at the Hosta Society under current naming conventions. This has created a huge list that might be cut by as 75%, depending on how sharp the eye that looks, if similar-looking cultivars are compared. But then, such a control might be a person one and not one that a registery concern itself with.

It's possible to plant a seed now that may not bear fruit fruit for some time, but tended, even a small start has great potential to exceed expectation while still being of benefit all through the process, regardless of what happens or on what scale it occurs.

The American Hosta Society started small, and look at it now! Imagine, a web-based database with documentation and pictures, articles etc. devoted to the gardener's amaryllis, focusing on all aspects, but establishing a special place for (new) American hybrids and selections to be registered.

Yes, gone2seed, TIME.... the task would take many hands, making time a less formidable problem. Dreams do become reality...

R.

What exactly stands in the way of someone creating an American Registry?
Your point about people registering any old cultivar is well taken, but after being part of various plant societies where this inevitably occurs, the membership and general public eventually drift toward the top performers anyway. Lest we forget some of the officially registered klunkers we've received, nurtured and dumped.

At the outset, membership fees would cover the cost of whatever legal service was required to create a solid, non-profit organization. As the applications and fees for registration started coming in, a hard copy publication could become reality.

Probably the, the greatest obstacle would be acceptance by the old school. If one chooses to ignore it and is willing to take the flak, fresh blood and innovation will win out.

The Passiflora Society International accepts registration in an area on one of their websites. A publication follows when enough cultivars warrant it.
I don't see German breeders kicking up a fuss, or making efforts to hamstring the effort.

Gordo queried:
"What exactly stands in the way of someone creating an American Registry?"

Haven't been able to contact Moses yet, but other than that, nothing! We can do whatever we want to!

R.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

The first thing we would need would be a comprehensive list of all existing cultivar names.That would take some time to gather.
If anyone decides to tackle this project I have a lot of unused web space that needs
some reason for it's existence.I think I use less than 2% of the space I pay for.

The International Bulb Society: http://www.bulbsociety.org/

I don't know if Dr, Meerow is still the President of the society, but if he is you will find him a very personable and intelligent man.
He might like this idea.
;-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.