Day At the Atlanta Botanical Garden

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

The last few days have given us clear skies and temps in the mid-sixties. I took advantage of the weather and went to the ABG. The last time I was careful to record all the orchid names. This time I just shot the flower photos. If you know the name please feel free to add or correct me. BTW, there are a number of non-orchids here too. I'll post some and add more later.

The Fuqua Conservatory (named after the Retail Credit founder) is huge! It's divided into warm, cool and desert regions, has a flasking lab with glass walls to observe the process and the progress of the plants and a classroom. I didn't go to the desert on this time. It's so hot in there and the plants give me nightmares (just kidding). Besides, neat thorny things were looking good outside. The Fuqua exhibits orchids for temporary display by several growers, but concentrates on collecting rare and endangered species.

Here's a bit of downtown skyline from the back of the conservatory.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

We had an exhibit of Dale Chihouly's glass through out the garden and conservatory last year. We kept this one. It looks great when the fountain is on in the summer.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 7:46 PM

Close up.

There are frogs like this through out the garden. This one provides lots of photo ops.

Gate to the herb garden.

One of several entrances to the Fuqua conservatory.

Interior entrance to the warm house.

They had a large "patch" of Angraecums from Madagascar. Must have been twenty or more in bloom. These were in the ground.

Another type was growing on a tree a few feet above. It was interesting to compare flowers.

This looks like Dendrobium fimbriatum. It had no tag.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 8:23 PM

Coelogyne usitana. I had to get under it for the shot. The plant had several flowers. Beautiful!

A pretty Masdavallia.

Napanthes for RUK's bog garden (though I don't think these would make it in New Jersey).

A Dracula (I think). Lots of blooms on this one.

There are lots of varieties of "pitchers".

No tag. The flower was about 1 1/2". A Masdavallia?

*Edited for needing orchid spelling lessons.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2009 8:25 PM

Back outside with the cactus.

This one is called a chain link cactus.

I looked up and saw this large bird. What is it? Wish I had a lens that magnified more. It was the size of a crane. It was there some time later when we left. Someone said there had been a pair and one flew off. Lots of ponds and fish around the garden, so maybe they were looking for lunch.

Cherries are blooming and so are plums. It's supposed to be thirteen degrees by Friday.

Last one for now. There was an exhibit last summer of mobile art. This is one of several permanent purchases. It's great that they are starting to add art to the garden in recent years.

Danville, IN

Nice photos! I was at the ABG one summer a few years ago. Was it every hot!

The large bird in the photo could be an osprey, although it would be a little bit out of it's normal range. If there are available fish, they might be attracting ospreys. They mate for life, and that would explain the pair, too. There aren't many large birds that would have so much white on them, other than a few types of hawks, snowy owls, and the osprey.

We don't call it Hotlanta for nothin'! lol Thanks for the bird leads. I thought it looked like a hawk but it was so much larger than any hawk I've seen. Don't know about snowy owls here. All that white stumped me.

Jacksonville, FL

Falcon?
Oh I want that gate!!!!
Next time I visit the fam we are going to go. How much is admission?

Tickets are twelve dollars, nine for seniors and less for kids. There are combined passes (Citipasses) for several Atlanta venues like the garden and the aquarium (which is one of the best in the country). Members have unlimited entry and access to their plant library. Volunteers with the Atlanta Orchid Society, several of whom are putting in hours to become judges with the American Orchid Society, are usually on hand to answer questions. Orchid Daze, the annual show, will be happening for several weeks in February. Come visit.

Here's another entrance. The plant with tall stalks is one of several types of agave. DH is contemplating a tequila plantation after seeing how hardy they are.
Laurel

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

That looks like a day well spent. Already Cherry blossoms?
The Orchid at 6:01 pm looks like a massive Jumellea comorensis - nice Orchids, Pitcher plants and I really love the Frog!!
Thanks for sharing, Laurel

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Great tour, Laurel. I also thought it was Jumellea comorensis. Thanks for posting this wonderful place. I knew nothing about it till now. :)

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Bravo, MPL, for your showcase of the Gardens. Very good. Lee

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Great show Laurel, much appreciated here in white north.

Thanks for the correction Ursula and Kathy. Glad to send some warmth up north. We are now expecting our coldest week of the year so far (teens). Ken, I still laugh at myself for thinking you lived in Nebraska for the longest time. Are you more snowed in than...let's say Kathy? It's looking pretty thick up her way. Lee, thanks and don't forget to bundle up.

So, wouldn't you like to have something like this on your window sill?

Thanks for the correction Ursula and Kathy. Glad to send some warmth up north. We are now expecting our coldest week of the year so far (teens). Ken, I still laugh at myself for thinking you lived in Nebraska for the longest time. Are you more snowed in than...let's say Kathy? It's looking pretty thick up her way. Lee, thanks and don't forget to bundle up.

Wouldn't you love to have something like this on your window sill?

Oops! Well here's another

Name this one please. A Coelogyne? This is one of their species collection.

Looks a bit Lycastic (a new word!).

Sounds caustic! I love invented words. Look at orchid names. Many namers had a field day with Latin and wives' names. DD would say they were "combinated" (when she was twelve). lol
Laurel

Ha!!!

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Laurel, I would take any of those for my window sill. You asked about the snow, I don't know how much Kathy has but we have about 16 to18 inches on ground. Snow is not the problem for the next 5 days or so it's the temperature, day time highs of 0 to -5 F and night lows of -25 F or worse and that is coupled with some wind giving severe wind chill factors.

Ken

We have about 9 or 10" on the ground. Sposta be -11 F tomorrow, high 11 F. Friday -4 F, high 9, Sat. -2, high 10. Oh boy.

Low tonight in the twenties and high tomorrow around thirty. We may have a few flurries in the mountains, but not in the city. I've got my garbage can lid and two baking sheets all set to slide down the front yard hill and I've been taking my glucosomine religiously.

Stay warm.
L

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the tour Laurel.....like Kathy, I am also buried under snow. And wind...right now we have gusts to 60 mph! The house is vibrating!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.