Any ideas on this one?

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

This was given to me as "Mr.Hughes".I can't find any references on any of the websites I frequent to Mr Hughes.The flowers are small compared to normal sized hybrids.Someone point me in the right direction.The closest i have seen so far is Giraffe but the color isn't quite right.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

A close up

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

And a side shot

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

That must be close to a species. Wonderful!!! Definitely not Giraffe!

Ewing, VA

Hmmmm...I have no clue. If it is small flowered like a miniature, check out Blanca's post of her Peach Blossom in GW. That's all I can suggest right now. It is definitely not Giraffe but a lovely one.

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I don't know what it is but it's absolutely gorgeous!

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Maria I believe you are right.I checked Blanca's post and then the Hadeco website.Peach Blossom seems to fit as far as color,flower size and scape height goes.

I want to get one!!

Ewing, VA

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Do I get a price? LOL!

JT...Why was it named Mr. Hughes? I acquired one of this last season. It didn't bloom. :-( Hopefully it does this season when it wakes up.

Obviously to go with Mrs. Garfield. LOL.

Where does one find a Mr. Hughes?

Ewing, VA

Gezzzzz...my Peach Blossom came all the way from Canada last season. I think it is not available in US this season.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Maria,several bulbs,different varieties,were given to me last year by a friend who is a member here.I assume that this bulb was just mis-labeled as I can't find any reference anywhere to "Mr.Hughes".Everything about 'Peach Blossom' seems to fit.
Boojum,see the comment above.

I see! Well I have my antennae up now for Peach Blossom! No point finding one now anyway since we will be below zero this week and shipping would be impossible. I have some species glads I put on a wishlist that are in stock in CA but I don't dare order them cause they sent them last time way too early. CA is another planet from us.

BTW, my species seedlings of calyptratum and moreliana continue to leaf out. Maybe in 20 years they'll bloom. I would die from the shock! Then again, I may not make it to 20 more years to die of the shock!

Very nice, JT.
It looks like a cross between Germa (.sp) and "Exotica".
Hang on to it!

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

Hiya, JT. 'Mr. Hughes' is the correct name. It's just not a known (or at least well-known) hybrid. As I was told by the friend who gave it to me, it was never officially named and released. If memory serves me (fair warning! ;^P ), this was a seedling that was hybridized and grown by a "Mr. Hughes". This is where it gets fuzzy... after he died, this was one that his wife and/or friends came across in his collection. It was decided to keep it and was named after him. That's basically what I remember from what I was told when it was given to me by Daisy (flowerjunkie). Though, she'd have to verify the story to make sure I didn't completely screw it up!

I can't remember specifics about the flower size, but I think it's a decent sized flower. Not the huge blooms of some of the bigger hybrids, but not small, either. JT, if yours are kind of small, it could be because the bulb is young - the pic above should be of your bulb's first flowers, right?

Here is a pic of mine from last summer...

This message was edited Feb 4, 2009 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by Carter

Gosh! It looks a lot like a more tame version of Exotica.
Absolutely lovely.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Hi Carter,I'm glad you weighed in on this one.It's absolutely beautiful.These are the first blooms and it has put up two scapes with 4 blooms each.I did not mean to give the impression that these blooms were tiny.They are a reasonable size,between large hybrids and species.I will measure one today as the second scape has opened.
This one also sets seed easily and has pods on it now.When they are ripe I will share them here.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here we are again.It has four pods on the first scape,all from different cybisters.This shot is with Grandeur.

Thumbnail by gone2seed
Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Here it is with my hand for size comparison.My hand is large;at least 6 inches from tip of thumb to tip of first finger.

Thumbnail by gone2seed

Just beautiful!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

That sure is pretty.

JT...If you have a few spare seeds, I would like to give this one a try.

Milton, FL(Zone 8a)

Gordo,I do indeed.I have one pod just harvested which is this one crossed to LaPaz.There are two other pods about ready which are crosses to other cybisters.As soon as these are ready I will send you some of each of them.That Lapaz cross had very few seed and the seed are thin but do seem to have some "meat".The next two pods seem to be larger.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.