Naked Raku- it has nothing to do with nudity.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I first posted this question in the "Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc" thread. Where several of us are working to get our own forum. This morning I realized that I may not be getting to everyone that might have an answer for me so here it is again.

I just started naked raku firing last September. In the first first firing I was able to scrape and scrub the slip/glaze layer off with a lot of work, on one piece it actually came of easily. In my second firing I got very little off of one or two and they were very scratched.

I find it a beautiful land am determined to get it yet. I am wondering if any of you that have experience with this can give me some hints. I am going to use different recipe's next time and I am wondering if the problem could be that or the temperature.

I suppose it could be the kiln gods, but I don't have any control over them.

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!