Best Blueberries for Midlands SC - in a pot?

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

Lowes has some blueberry bushes (well, not bushes, just bareroots) in and so I thought about growing some.

Any recommendations for a variety that does well in a container or as a low bush?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Sunshine Blue does very well in containers. I believe they were bred with that in mind. Didn't get many berries the first year but last year, the 2nd, I was getting handfuls every day. I was hoping for even more this year but with this freaky weather my plants are already blooming and who knows if I'll get any berries at all. I got mine Wayside. Just last fall I bought a few more to pot up and use as gifts; the kind that keep on giving. :-).

Waxhaw, NC

Be sure to get southern rabbiteye blueberry plants and you will need to different cultivars to cross polinate as they are not self fertile. Tifblue andclimax are 2 good cultivars but they would probably get too large for containers

Ah, pollination - that is another plus for the Sunshine Blue, they are self pollinators.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

Sold! I think that Sunshine Blue is the pick for me!

Do you get the Park Seed catalog? I just got mine today and the Sunshine Blue is featured on the inside back cover. It is a southern highbush type.

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

yep, toying wth that, though I can also get them from Wayside for $9.95 each plus postage,

http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151&langId=-1&mainPage=LGprodview&ItemId=48239&PrevMainPage=textsearchresults&scChannel=Text%20Search&SearchText=blueberry&OfferCode=W3H

So I might just go that way.
Has anyone ever been to their nursery in person? Is it worth the trip?

Wayside and Parks are pretty much one in the same. Same owners anyway and when shopping at the Parks store you see both Parks and Wayside plants. I haven't been to the store in several years; they closed for a while and I understand the "new" store is better than it used to be. They have a minimal (given the amount inthe catalog) supply of plants.

Parks has nice trial gardens where you can see what the plants look like. It is not a regular nursery where you can pick up plants other than the stuff they have in the store. Much of their plant material is grown off site and in different parts of the country in some cases. You can find most all of their seeds there at the store.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.