January III Blooms

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

We need a new thread so all dial up people can join us.
I took a few pics tonight.
Streptocarpus Chorus Line

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Al's Pal streptocarpus

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

So far, I am disappointed in the few Nancy Block strep plants I have. Maybe the blooms get better as the plants get bigger. I have quite a few different leaves down........we shall see.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
South, TX

Very pretty! Wonderful colors as usual.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have to order more seed of Sinningia Jack Evans purple mix.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Hello, Sally...........

Too much light in this streptocarpus Gator's Tail pic

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

streptocarpus Happy Snappy

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

streptocarpus Hot Ticket

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Bristol's Party Boy 'sorta leaves me empty.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I think the name of this speciosa sinningia mix is wrong. The marker says Red with white spots????? I think it is a red mix with white edge.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

The blossoms on streptocarpus Royal Hope by Jim King, a fellow DGer are getting larger. I hope you don't miss this one, Jim.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't think I will ever get tired of Streptocarpus Spin Art.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Poochie is just getting started and her leaves are already so big and long. She is one of my very favorites!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

streptocarpus Texas Hot Chili.

Sally, you better start preparing for our cold weather starting tomorrow night. I am going to have to bring in every single plant on the front porch for over a week. The night temps are dipping in the low 30's and high 20's all the way into next weekend, also.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

My goodness, Gail! You have been a busy little beaver in the past 15 minutes! VERY nice pix!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't really watch TV much and I get tired of the war in the Gaza strip..........so I get my camera.

Tomorrow will be a busy day bringing in plants for the big freeze coming in, Nichole.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

Tomorrow I will be working on cleaning up the back yard . . . one way or another, I will NOT be in this house much longer! I have already warned eveyone here I am in "purge" mode . . . we have WAY too much c$&p here, and it WILL go!!! (sunday will be garage!)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That doesn't sound like much fun to me.........but neither is bringing in all my plants tomorrow. It will take this ole granny all day long!

I am a 'throw away' person anyway so I rarely accumulate too many unused things.

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

In the yard it is mostly old pots, broken trays, etc. It just seems to have scattered around a bit!

South, TX

We won't get that cold this weekend but next weekend should freeze. Won't be good next weekend. Channel 5 is talking about snow flurries!

Williston, ND

pretty stuff gail

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Morning!

Thanks for the new thread.Wow,what a great way to start the morning..Beautiful pictures Gail.

sinn Gabriels horn is blooming at my house today.

Thumbnail by jannich
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Strep Cary's first flowers.

Have a good day everybody!

Thumbnail by jannich
Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

ooh! I like Cary's colors. s. Gabriels is pretty too. How large do the standard sinns grow? Don't recall seeing one in person. I have a few newly aquired mini's.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Jan, what a pretty strep Cary is! Of course I also love Gabriel's Horn...

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't ever remember the temps predicted to stay this low for over 10 days.............so..........this is all that has to come into my house on the floor. (tables, furniture, etc) Thank goodness I have a new roll of poly to cut up to protect tables, carpet, etc.

NO, I was going to try and do it by myself but thought better of my knee and back.......Joe, a cattle helper, is coming down to do it for me.

Here is all that has to be moved in...........it is so dark outside the flash went off just trying to take pictures.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

AND...from the other end of the porch!

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Good thing that you've got help! That would take me two days and a lot of mortin!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Guess what? It would take me at least that long to bring them in. We are not used to this kind of cold that lasts for a while.

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Gail, what a georgeous collection of plants you have in that room. How in the world do you water them? It must take a long time to get to each and every one.
I loved looking at all your strep blooms too.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Imadigger.......they make me happy. Thank goodness it was hot yesterday so I watered all of them real well. Today they won't be soggy bringing them in but they will be watered to last a while until they can go back outside.

South, TX

Thankfully, we are closer to the water, but next weekend will be a freeze and that's too bad. Hubby brought his big plumeria's into the garage just now. I am sitting down drinking a Coke and crackers. We cleaned out the garage and I got nauseated. Was so warm.

RIGHT when we finished, the cold front came in! I just stood there and enjoyed it, but I feel bad so I am sitting here a while before I bathe and we go out to lunch.

South, TX

Pretty flowers, Jannich. The owl looks so cute with her flowers.

Gail, lots for you to do! The porch is so pretty.

Jasper, AR(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous blooms Jannich!! Gail, thismay not be worth the investment--but it's an idea , run to walmart and get a little electric heater and set it out there-- that is what I use in my gh on really bitter nights.(I use fans to move heat out of the house into it-- but the floor is about 4 feet lower than the door and gets really cold) I paid $25 for it and it is very inexpensive to operate. It would be a whole lot simpler than moving all your babies inside. Most nights ( I only use it when temps are below 25°) I use it on the lowest setting-- holds the floor of the greenhouse at 50° or higher. Even when we had single digit temps it stayed 48° down there. A kerosene heater works well too(heated my old 20'x30'gh with 2 for a number of years)-- but larger investment and kerosene is pretty spendy.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Gail--I could move all that in a day, but I wouldn't be moving much of anything else for the next few days, if you get my drift...
I think Gran has a great Idea, and you also won't have to turn your living area upside down. A small $ investment with a lot of perks!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I have two good electric heaters I normally use but when we are talking extended periods of weather this cold, they won't do the trick. I have too many hoyas that don't like even 50 degree weather.

I looked at Kerosene heaters but they were over 250.00 each. I may have to get one for next year because bringing this many plants in is for the birds!

(Zone 1)

Love all the photo's! Such beautiful blooms!

I moved my Orchids inside a couple of days ago because we were having night time temp's in the mid 40's. I went out a little while ago and moved tons of plants up against the south side of the house on the pool deck and tomorrow night will cover them with old blankets. We are predicted to be down to 38 here tomorrow night! BRRR that is COLD!

We had a high of 78 today and it's supposed to be in the mid 50's tonight. Tomorrow is supposed to be mid to upper 70's again and then begin to drop rapidly at night. I'm really hoping the weather reports are off. I know one night last week they predicted a low of 43 and I was up during the night and it never got anywhere near that low, was right around 53/54 every time I checked, so maybe the reports are wrong for 38! I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I hate having to move stuff in and out, in and out!

Portland, ME

Got home last night after being in NJ visiting my friend Lenny since December 15th... I was AMAZED at all the flowers greeting me when I walked in--I've NEVER had this many blooming at once.. 20 in bloom and another 5 or so in bud. WHOOHOO!!!!!

I think my violets must hate me or something--They seem to have REALLY enjoyed my being away for so long :-D

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 10:06 PM

Thumbnail by m3rma1d
Portland, ME

African Violet - Optimara Rose Quartz

Thumbnail by m3rma1d
Portland, ME

African Violet - Optimara Little Ruby

Thumbnail by m3rma1d

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.