backgrounds & mixing tiles

Grass Lake, MI

Wow, you are all so talented; love the fish Barrell and the butterflies and the garden pieces. I have done a lot of reading and completed a couple of very simple projects to get the hang of it. This piece is my first as a way to experiment with cutting techniques, colors, grout, etc. It has a flower pot with flowers, grasses, a butterfly, frog. The photo is my rough design and color concept. I tend to like clean, modern looks and cannot figure out the type of tile and color for the background. I want to use some colorful glass for the flowers and butterfly, stones for the 'base' and have the background simple. Can I use the venetian tiles in a simple color pallete with the glass? Some tiles seem too shiny and others quite grainey. Do some work better than others when mixing with glass? Any other help would be much appreciated; you are all such great inspirations!

Thumbnail by m_earth
This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!