Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Crawling out on the lawn, Ed

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Also

Thumbnail by edric
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Edric, that thing is scary! I remember the pictures you posted last year. Can you estimate how much it grows each year? Are you going to let it continue on the lawn or stop it in its tracks?

X

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

No I can't estimate, but I only let it run out like that once a year in the winter when it's flowering, and then mow it back once I have had harvest, the Oak tree is dead, it's only a matter of time before it starts to rot, and eventually snaps from the weight, in a storm or something, then I guess it will all have to be removed, it's seven this month, Ed

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Those buds are gorgeous! Mine is black right now from frost :( It's a monster and has committed an all out assault on our grapefruit tree, I'm going to snuff it out in 2 or 3 years after something else grows in it's place, for now it provides too good of coverage over a gazebo in summer. I am cutting it back all summer though, that part stinks.

Phoenix, AZ

OH MY!!!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I keep cutting mine back...does that prevent it from blooming? I can't afford it to take over like that..and it does in snap...still hasn't had a bloom on it. ...it's growing like a monster though..I cut it back twice last year. We've had mild fall and winter so far.
rj

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

They'll get yellow blooms, the first October they are over a year old or so, then the first December they are over three years old or so, they will produce pods, but only at higher elevations, then after`they are six years old or so they will produce pods at ground elevation, because of its intolerance to a fungus, that I have not identified, Ed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aaah....Yes I'm familiar with the fungus.
Thanks...it's 3 now and all in the brug trees.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

No fungus here, but 18 months old and no blooms, also no humidity and that could be a dual reason for no blooms and no fungus.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is about the 3 year mark...plus it was grown from seed. I just wish I would have known about the space requirement..should have known since half of Kauai's trees are covered in them.

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

I grew mine from seed as well, I'm nearly certain that moderate humidity is a major factor, an old man from Miami told me he seen an old large one down there, and it would get lots of yellow flowers, but only got open seed pods above fifteen feet or so, and they were very sparse, Ed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm...I see a task before me then...thanks for that info.
rj

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Hello there,

Would this do ok in my zone 8, FL panhandle? Also will they grow from cuttings or do they need to be grown from seed.

Thanks,

Dee

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm sorry but only in a 9b or warmer climate, or not north of Gainsville, roughly, Ed

Chipley, FL(Zone 8a)

Ok, thanks

Dee

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

well I am growing one the seed just germinated and it will get cut back in the fall and out for the summer, have to wait and see if I can get it to bloom, question does it bloom on old wood or new growth

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Blooms on new growth, it needs to be three before you'll get any dried pods, Ed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is new growthing everywhere! It's all over this brug, growing on the green house...not much get's in it's way.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It has a far reach

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

It blooms Nov. through Feb., Ed

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yup. It may have a chance in Nov here..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.