NOID......got any ideas??

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

This TB Iris was given to me years ago by my sweet, late mother-in-law. I have no idea what name goes with it. Any body got a clue?

Thumbnail by grannyh
Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Here's another view of it from a different angle...

Thumbnail by grannyh
Santa Ynez, CA

just a thought, Lady friend???? not sure but take a look at Dave's for Lady friend, depends on the photo...

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

Yes, it could be that too. But I am just thinking that since you recieved it from your grandmother, that it was an older cultivar, but it does not look historic. The way the falls and standards look, it looks modern, historics are usually narrow, with not much frill to them, just simple.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

Okay.......here's what I've found so far........check out Nola's Iris Garden website and take a look at 'Cajun Spices'. What do you think?

I should never have went to this website (or any of my "Iris Website Haunts" as I like to call them!)....now I have an order ready!!

This message was edited Jan 7, 2009 9:05 AM

South Hamilton, MA

Lady Friend is brighter & the flower parts are more wide. Cajun Spices is more of a brown tone. When did your MIL have irises in her garden? The dates may help do an idea on when to cut off the more recent plants.

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

irisMA~ She died in January 2004 and she was 82. She had Iris for as long as I can remember and she gave me that one 7 ....almost 8 years ago now. I can remember seeing this one in her flowerbeds at least 10 years ago....but she might have had it longer than that. My sweet little near 90 FIL says SHE knew the name of all her flowers...but don't ask him!!!

I'm sure she probably told me at the time what name went with what iris...but she would just rattle those names off!! You'd stop by for a quick visit out in the country on a warm evening, and you would leave with a small box of assorted starts to various plants. Unless you had a pen + paper handy at the time...

South Hamilton, MA

I would then guess that it might be a iris from the 80s because you usually stop adding plants as you get older next spring check the height of the plants + did she leave any garden notes?

Monroe City, MO(Zone 6a)

No.....she left no notes...but plenty of memories and older Iris....like this Wabash.

Thumbnail by grannyh
South Hamilton, MA

I was interested to note that the red flowers have a rather 'flat' finish rather than a shiny one. It looks newer thatn Wabash which was about 1938.

Robertsville, MO(Zone 5b)

I still think it is Cranberry Tea, Hybridized by Mapes 1989. This one is a hard one to find. I got lucky and found it last season and ordered 6. I do not remember where from though. Just kept at it and found it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.