Does anyone know anything about antique spinning wheels?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I just got this antique spinning wheel today. It belonged to the grandmother of someone who I guess to be in her mid 40s. Her grandmother lived in Germany and the lady I brought it from came here from Germany in her teens. It needs a small fix, but otherwise the wheel runs nicely. It has a foot treadle and as you can see it has these white headed pin tacks all the way around. I'm not sure if they are original - they feel cold to the touch, like they might be glass and not plastic. What, if anything, can anyone tell me about my new wheel.

I am just starting to learn drop spindle spinning, and the opportunity to own this wheel came up because of a small furniture repair that DH did for somebody - it was in exchange for the work. I am excited to learn to use it, but also interested in learning more about it.

Thanks for any info!
Claire

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!