Scutellarias

Townsville, Australia(Zone 10a)

Who out there grows these charming and adorable plants from the lamiaceae family.

The flowers look like they are little mouths waiting to be fed. I have made it my mission to grow as many as I can get my hands on this year to do comparisons and take pics.I have ordered some seeds and wait anxiously for the mailman to delivers.

So everyone out there that grows these babies, show us your skullcaps, would love to see them .

Scutellaria Javanica

Thumbnail by annette68
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Wildflower originally.

Thumbnail by jmorth

oohhhhh lovely, which one is that???

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Scutellaria indica L.

Thumbnail by goldenfish
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Scutellaria incana - Downy Skullcap

Thumbnail by jmorth
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Scutellaria suffrutescens - Pink Texas Skullcap

In the snow we had early in December, it looked like it was lit by pink Christmas lights.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is a photo from last May.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

I just purchased some seeds of the Scutellaria suffrutescens, cant wait to grow it, normally anything that thrives in Texas does alright in my garden, I do find the scutellarias very adaptable, I have a Scutellaria Tounefortii that is from Europe and has fitted right in ala tropic style. I guess that is why I love these plants.

Thumbnail by annette68
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I have this labelled as Scutellaria helenae, though I'm not totally convinced it's correct...

Thumbnail by altagardener

It sure does look lovely no matter what the name....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

I'm starting to think it might actually be S. orientale, and that the original S. helenae in the same bed went AWOL...

EDIT: Or maybe it really is S. helenae? Unfortunately, I can't find a description or photos of S. helenae, so who knows?

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 5:33 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I had no idea there were so many different Scutellarias... And they're all gorgeous! I need to start looking for more now.

My pal in Victoria has 4 varieties with no names and is doing me some cuttings so all going well there maybe a new variety or 2.There are 300 species in this group, 1 I am wondering do they cross and 2 out of the 300 how many are in cultivation.

This is my pink one called scutellaria ventenatii.

Thumbnail by annette68
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Wow, that's stunning!

Here's S. alpina:

Thumbnail by altagardener

Scutellaria Alpina looks like it has some personality;))))

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a some but if you asked me to name them...I'd have to lie ...well on a couple...others I'd have look at my tags but those are in the greenhouse and it's cold out der.

I did have one come up wild in my rock garden that is no more than 4-5 inches tall,tiny,tiny blooms of spotted lilac. I i.d'ed it at one time but since lost and forgot what it was. I need to i.d it again. It's got some blooms on it now.

Take some pics and we will see what we can do with the id.....

Scutellaria Nana ssp Sapphrina

Thumbnail by annette68
Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

I have one that grows here wild. It is close to 3 ft. and has bluish purple flowers on it.

Share yours pics it sounds sublime.........

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Well,wouldn't you know it. It was blooming the other day when I was cleaning the rock garden...now it's not. I'll catch it on the next flush.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Bigred, it's blooming in mid-January??? In Arkansas???
Is that normal?
And what are you doing in your rock garden in January anyway?

Clearfield, PA(Zone 5a)

Mine isn't blooming anymore either. I didn't get a pic when it was.

Sorry.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Yup...not much but it did have blooms.

I was weeding and cleaning off the pineneedles

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.