Cinderella pumpkin (open-pollinated)

Silver Springs, NV(Zone 6b)

Okay, folks, I just got back from a garage sale a block or two from me with a lovely Cinderella pumpkin, the reddish flat-topped one. I'd been wanting to try growing them next year, so am happy they do well in our area. Now--what do I need to know to save the seeds from this garage sale pumpkin for next year? Is it as simple as scoop out the seeds, clean threads off, let seeds dry thoroughly, and store in a lidded glass jar in the cabinet? Or is there more to it than that? Thanks.

Bay City, MI(Zone 5a)

hi Tashak2, i have saved my pumpkin seeds the same way you do :) i had some when i lived in the detroit, mich. area in about 1971??? when yours are all dried and nice would you mind trading with me? pleae let me know?? tootsie

New Paris, OH

You may want to ask the growers if the were growing any type of zucchinis or other pumpkins in the area (I believe, without looking this up, that pumpkins and others in the c. pepo bunch need at least 1/2 mile of isolation to be pure). I am not saying don't plant the seeds but if there was any other pepos around you probably will get many suprises next summer. Most will be edible and beautiful too.

And yes to what you plan to do to the seeds for saving. oh and the pumkin itself is a great cooking pumkin so you might as well save the flesh and use it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.