Any sourdough pros around? I'm having a problem.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I am trying to add sourdough bread to the varieties I bake.

I believe my starter is good (very bubbly and I pay attention to it.) But I am having problems in the next 2 stages.

In the 2 recipes I have tried, the first step is to create a "sponge" using the starter. Once the sponge is mixed, it should be placed in a warm place to proof for 8-12 hours. In the next step the remaining ingredients are added and the mixture is left to rise for another period. In both recipes, it is said that I should see significant rising. Enough to be noticeable.

My problem: my sponge does not increase in bulk in any perceptible manner. And therefore neither does my mixture in step 2. I did try to bake it both times to see if it would rise it remained too dense even though the flavor was good.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong.

Thanks

BB

This thread has 59 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!