CLOSED: Pistachio nuts wanted

Greenacres, WA

I would like some Pistachio nuts to see if I can grow them.
I would also like a start of Wisteria vine if possible,
I want to try growing Peanuts too I am wondering it any one has used the squirrel
type for growing. Here is a picture of my sons Thanks

Oh, how I love Washington
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave Washington
`Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

Happy New Year to each and everyone

Thumbnail by MarciaS
Büllingen, Belgium(Zone 6b)

Marcia, if you buy peanuts for birth feeding, you can use these to germinate.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

If I lived in that kind of cold, I'd be bundled up like the michelin man. LOL

I have seen seed peanuts at the feed store. You might try there. My stepdad raised peanuts.We lived in La so the weather was warm. It was a huge peanut bigger than my 2 thumbs. They were great for boiling with zome Zatarans crab boil. Hope you have good luck with yours.

Greenacres, WA

Thanks so much I am wondering why your Dad boiled them?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

marcia, boiled peanuts are great. ya suck the juice out then eat them

Greenacres, WA

I just was reading about Pistachio's on google and they are not what I thought,
I now know they are trees not bushes so I am not gping to try.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Boiled peanuts are a staple southern snack.

Chesapeake, VA

Gee. I'm used to having them dry, salted, roasted...and ending up on the bar-room floor...

Another old southern tradition - peanuts at bars, and you're supposed to throw the hulls on the floor, you see.

At least that is what people tell me.

Of course, now a-days, the health department frowns on such doin's. So, people are given little aluminum pails to throw the hulls in.

Ain't the same...

Chesapeake, VA

You might think about growing tender little gourmet potatoes in containers. That might work fine for you, if you can keep them from freezing.

I have them in my little 10x10 greenhouse. So far I have the little Swedish fingerlings and some blue ones growing. You start by planting the 'eyes' of the potato. The trick is to start them out in shallow dirt, then add more as they grow. Potatoes form at the leaf nodes when you put them "underground", you see.

It's something different. The Swedish ones are very good sliced and fried.

I got them from the produce department at Harris Teeter grocery.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Have you been reading the thread about growing them in leaves instead of dirt? I'm going to try that.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I love boiled peanuts!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had them when I was down south.Where would I get raw peanut to boil myself?Anybody know?

Thanks

Thumbnail by synda

The peanuts for birth food are raw.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I have never seen that around here,where would I need to go to find it

Here in Belgium you can buy these peanuts in stores for petfood, big nurseries and the supermarket (pet food).
There must be stores in the US that sell birth food.

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I'll look at the feed store ,I need to go get horse feed anyhow.

Thank you

Greenacres, WA

There are several stores I have found, the feed stores and pet stores that sale
Squirrel food. Home Depot - BIG R - Wal-Mart they all carry them here on Spokane WA I don't see the problem using them they are 1/2 the price as food stores. If you cook or bake them any germs would be killed. I am low income so have to save the pennies till the . I am going to buy some to see if I can grow them. I am wondering if you can grow them like potatoes. In barrels and adding soil as the grow up

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

Here are a couple of links that may answer some of your questions. Sounds like a fun project if you are not averse to possible failure. I imagine northern climes are risky. One thing I did learn is that the best peanuts go into the commercial roasted products. I suspect that those that go into bird seed are pretty low quality. I believe it would be best to order seeds specifically designated as peanuts for planting (seed peanuts)

Also I am wondering whether health food stores might be a source for raw peanuts. Likely a better quality than those meant for bird seed.

http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PNUT

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/pnut.htm

Z

This message was edited Jan 10, 2009 7:25 AM

Greenacres, WA

Thank you so much for the information. I am finding the things I would like to try growing is not compatable with zone 5 Boo Hoo

Hazelnuts will grow in your zone. I have fresh seeds of my own tree, so if you're interested, let me know

Would cooking the peanuts not kill them????
You can try to grow them inside the house. A lot of people in Europe do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.