Vertically challenged.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

I bought this Amaryllis just before Christmas at a box store - could be Appleblossom, but it had no name...Planted it in the garden and this is what I have two weeks later! Should I have kept in the dark and forced it to grow tall before I planted it out? My other Amaryllis in the garden grow tall before they flower. Silliest looking thing I ever did see.

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom

My new plummies are just starting to flower. This one is Intense Rainbow.

One of my favorite Hibbies.

'nother one.

Before I threw the pots into the garden I killed every orchid I put my hands on - left alone they do much better!

Kinda dark but a really pretty long spray of flowers. Now I am going to build them a lava pile to live on.

Starfruit have burst into action since the rain.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Wonderful pictures, Jenny, and beautiful flowers! I'm so jealous, I could move in!

I think the short Amaryllis is because of lots of heat. But I also believe that once it gets established in your garden, it will produce regular - tall - flowers, at it's own pace. First flowers are not always the perfect flowers.

Is the plummie fragrant? Oh, I love starfruits! I miss my Hibiscus (killed them all but one)! Lovely orchids, I think you are too modest! I am close to "walking" step 1 of 12 towards orchid success...

Hugs,
Alexandra

Keaau, HI

Yes Jen, your Amaryllis matches up with Hippeastrum 'Apple Blossum', Large-Flowered Hybrid.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Going back to the thread title I gotta say, I'm vertically challenged too!! LOL!!

I just had to say that.

LOL! Do we have to keep you cool too Pepper? I expect you are quite chilly enough in MO at this time of the year.

Thanks Alexandra, but I really can't take any credit for the orchids - I really did throw the pots into the garden and completely ignored them. Yes the plumies have a lovely scent, each different. They are all cuttings that I have put along my ugly, bare, back wall with the hope that it will soon be camoflaged, and they are all doing well. It's not rocket science to grow plumies and hibiscus here you know, but thank you for the kind words!

Aloha.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Here in a few days it will be 60 deg then the 2 days later our high is supposed to only be in the teens with lows in the singles. I don't think the plants here know what to think. lol

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Our Pepper is a hot mini pepper, LOL!

Here I have to graduate in rocket science or do some brain surgery, in order to keep my last hibiscus alive! Now he's parked in the garage, the dry heat from the house heating made him droopy.
I just purchased some moisure crystals, and I'll use that with potting soil before the heat comes.

One of my orchids bloomed! I'm in heaven! Have to go take another pic of her now, with good day light!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jen, so lovely! I don't think it matters a bit that they are short...they are still pretty! Look at all the other lovely they have as mentors...

That yellow hib is beautiful! I don't have a pure yellow like that. Is the pic below it a chad? I do love the sunset colors in the chad hib!

I'm sure the orchids will adore you for the lava pile...they are so lucky!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Loveliness!!!! Jen...you are a great grower... your plummie is gorgeous!!!

Aw, thanks Carol - big rain and thunderstorm heading your way, we had it at 6 this morning - torrential rain and impressive lightening!

Keaau, HI

Lost in the Vog this morning. The radar for Hawai'i looks pretty scary; thanks for the heads up Jen.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Here's a photo i took of the vog this morning....375 feet and you can't see anything. It has been worse...and it floated in and out of disgusting and horrible for a while.

The mountains shielded us from the storm...!!! It simply went around the mountains!!!!

Not much vog left... pretty unusual when we do get it!

Carol

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

That is more beautiful than a movie set, and they always make it look perfect. The vog just looks like mist from here. Getting colder here as we speak. yuk

Keaau, HI

Choke, choke, cough, cough. Ah-heh ah-heh. The vog ain't no mist!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I am some 1600+ miles away so I have an advantage. Sorry.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

YUP..it is pretty nasty! We ARE lucky in a way because the prevailing winds are from the E so alot of the vog (a mix of sulpher dioxide plus really nasty stuff like ash) gets pushed over to Kona on the W. side and up the island chain. I have left Hilo on a clear day and arrive in Honolulu and they have vog! People have had to sell their home and their dreams because they are highly allergic or compromised other ways.

Good photo of the vog, we were hit on Saturday, but once the storm came it blew it outa here. I think Oahu gets hit the worst with the vog, generally.

Weeds are growing nicely since it rained!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Jen...I have that situation as well. Can anyone explain why the things we want to grow don't, yet the things we don't want to grow do? I have tried to find the karma energy of weeds, and it just don't work! Guess its cuz I'm thinkin negatively...don't want the durn things to flourish so they hide their energy. Smart weeds!

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Someone once said..."I never consider that I have learned about a plant until I have killed it at least 4 times"....

and..."A weed is just a plant I haven't killed yet'..

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

We have a weed out here...I forget the name at the moment, but it looks remarkably similar to a caesalpinia until it gets quite large. The main difference is how the small leaves surround the stem. You should see me trying to convince folks that what they have is a weed, not the pretty blooming bush that I have in my garden. Even my daughter, who also has a caesalpinia - grown from seed from my bush - cannot tell the difference. It is a real hair puller!

Keaau, HI

Show us a picture Shari!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'll try and get my camera to cooperate this afternoon.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Okay, I took a couple of pictures and started a new thread. Don't want weed photos mixed in with all these pretties (although vog is not a pretty, it was a cool pic). Take a look and see what you think.

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It is a cool pic, although I'm sure it's not cool to live with. I guess it's like Shari says, they live in "almost paradise"! Sorry that it is unpleasant.

I'll be at my daughter's all weekend, so everyone have a great weekend. Will check in with you Sun night or Monday!

Aloha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.