Please help, first time seed planter sowing question

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Hello all. I just planted my first seeds in regular old Ferry-Morse trays with domed lids. I've never attempted seeds of any kind before. The moisture built up really quickly and they are on a heat mat. After only 2 days, some of the seeds are sprouting extremely well...My question is this...

I think I read somewhere that after the first few seeds sprout, you should prop open an end of the domed lid to let some humidity escape? Do you have to water the seedlings? The humidity right now is keeping the soil extremely wet.

Also, at what point do you take the lids off completely and/or remove from the heat pad? Thank you so much, Karen

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

You need to vent the plastic cover as soon as you see a heavy build-up of condensation on the inside. This usually means your soil is more than damp and needs to dry some. A fine mist looking build-up is lots better but I'd still vent a little.

Once seeds start coming up you surely need to vent the cover. Most folks remove it once half the seedlings are up. Take them off the heat pad when most have sprouted.

If the soil surface seems dry before they finish sprouting, use a spray bottle. Once they are up, bottom watering is best, lest you learn more than you'd like about the dreaded damping off.

Kenwood, CA

When the seedlings are a few inches tall--after the first true leaves appear (which looks like a second set of leaves)--the lid can come off and the seedlings will be ready to transplant to a larger pot. If they are growing in a cell or 2 inch pot now, take them next to a 4 inch pot. Grow them on under lights (if indoors) until the transplant time in your region comes around. The lights should stay on 10 to 14 hours a day and raise the light as the seedlings grow up. And, keep the soil moist not wet.

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. I so want to be successful in this, especially due to the investment I made as a first timer with seeds, heat mat, trays, etc. I really appreciate you both. Love, Karen

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Karen,

I also have a few secrets to tell you about starting tomatoes in my seed starter kit. D-mail when you get it.

BocaBob

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

The most important aspect is as soon as the seeds come up, you need to get them under grow lights, just 1-2 inches away if possible. Otherwise you will get very leggy seedlings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.