First really stupid question of the year!!!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I have established a 'bean' bed...and my snow peas have all croaked and I want to put beans in their place. I know that beans/peas are nitrogen fixers and do strange things to the soil....so....

What should I do to that area where the peas were growing so that I can plant beans????

Thanks in advance. Before, I always moved the supports, but I am too busy to do it now...

Carol

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Carol, did the snow peas produce a crop before croaking or did they just not grow? a description of the existing soil in the area where you planted the snow peas? Is your concern about planting a legume crop in the same area where a prior legume was planted?

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

The weather has been rather cool and totally wet and the snowpeas and sugar peas just produced a few pods and then the stems rotted. The Winged Beans and the Green Beans are doing fine!! The soil IS wet and cold right now...well cold means about lows of 60.

Yes...my questions IS planting one legume after another. Did it before with adverse results....

Thanks, GM
Carol

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Farmers around here plant peas for the cannery. They are harvested in June. They plant soybeans right after the peas are harvested. The do fine.
Good Luck!
Bernie

Tuscaloosa, AL(Zone 7b)

Carol,

The 60 degrees temp shouldn't have been a problem as snow peas are a cool weather crop. I would be more likely to suspect the "too wet" conditions.

I don't know about the legume question. Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable about that will chime in.

Karen

Kenwood, CA

Wet soil as you describe favors root rots in peas--plants will often yellow as underground stems and roots begin to rot. Then the plants usually die at flowering time. You can't control the rain but you can make sure the soil is well drained: add well-aged compost twice a year. Peas and legumes are best not grown continually in the same soil. Legumes such as peas and beans contribute to soil fertility by releasing nitrogen into the soil--follow them by heavy nitrogen users such as cabbage family members. A three- or four-year rotation would be best if your space allows. Follow the heavy feeders with fruiting plants (tomatoes and peppers) in the rotation.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Thanks, Stephan. We have had 24" in a week....of rain, that is. The beans are fine. The soil IS heavy...gotta add more cinders!!!

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

Peas and beans need alot of nitrogen. I dust my seeds in "Garden soil inoculant" before I plant them in the gound. Wow! and it is "organic" I use "Nature's aid"

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I had to dispute you, but beans, peas, alfalfa & other legumes make nitrogen. The inoculate helps them do this. It is a bacteria that should be in a fertile soil. If you are organic there should not be a need for it. I have never used it in my 25 years of raising peas & beans.
Bernie

Stevensville, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank-you I was mistaken. I use the innoculate because I have clay soil. Have added mushroom compost, and it is producing better..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.