Identifying my climate zone in India and UAE

Pune, India

Hi there..

I'm new to Dave's Garden and lived in Los Angeles, CA for the last 9 years. I recently moved to Pune, India which is South east of Mumbai and will be moving to Dubai, UAE in a few months. When in the US, I had the Sunset Western Garden Book to help me with my climate zones and plant info. Does anyone know of a comparable source of information (website or otherwise) for India and the UAE? I'd like to identify my climate zone so I have some idea of what types of plants I can grow successfully.

What is the best way to go about this when I don't have a handy climate guide.

Thanks in advance.

Keaau, HI

Pune, India would be Zone11.

Dubai, UAE would probably be Zone 10.

Welcome to Tropical Zone Gardening!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Just wanted to add my Aloha. What exciting moves you have (and will be having) - we love pictures here - hint, hint.

Keaau, HI

In Pune you should be able to grow just about anything. Dubai looks like it has a favorable climate as well; might be a bit colder this time of year.

India is rich with all kinds of plants! As Jen said, we love pictures.

Aloha, Dave

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

YES...wonderful fruit in India.

Isn't Dubai dry? Hot? Or have they airconditioned the country?

HAHAHa Carol

Keaau, HI

This time of year, I think it may be hot in the day and cold at night.

noonamah, Australia

The proper way to find out your zone is to get the weather records for that area. What you need is the lowest minimum temperature averaged over a 10 year period.

For:
0F to 10F - zone 7
10F to 20F - zone 8
20F to 30F - zone 9
30F to 40F - zone 10
40F to 50F - zone 11

If the records are in celcius you'll need to convert them.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Is there not a zone 12? I read about it somewhere but most books seem to miss it. What are the conditions for Zone 12?

noonamah, Australia

The USDA uses 11 zones (split into A's and B's) which suit the range of climates in the US. There is an Australian scale of zones suited to the Australian range of climates going from 1 to 7 only. Zone 1 is the same as the US zone 7b and 8a. Australian zone 5 is the same as US zone 11. Australian zones 6 and 7 are off the US scale. You'll probably find that in Uganda there's a need for additional zones to the US scale so they decided they'd number the additional ones in the same 10 degrees farenheit jumps.

ie. Zone 12 would be 50F to 60F.

I'm only guessing what they might have done in Uganda, but the local government agricultural department could let you know.

Arua, Uganda(Zone 11)

Okay I assumed that the zones covered the whole world! Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.