Please help with ID on this canna

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

I would greatly appreciate any help with the identification of this canna. I just bought it from Walmart and it didn't have any tags. It had a lil red flower on it but I lost it on the trip home. I fell in love with the dark leaves. Thank you in advance! : )

Thumbnail by Gardenia731
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It looks like Tropicanna.

Thank you pepper23!

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

I grow Russian Red, and it looks very similar. Check it out:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37544/

Louisville, KY

I would say red fruitia just a guess. Tropicanna would have stripes and orange flower and russian red does not flower until very tall and usually has more roundish leaves.

Thumbnail by bwilliams
Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

Could it be "Pink Sunburst ? They are very short,but look similar.
Lynda

The flower was red and it resembled the link Skaz421 posted. I was very lucky with this pot of cannas. I divided into 8 and they are growing in separate pots. Once they begin to bloom I will take a pic and hopefully the mystery will be solved. Thanks everyone ^_^!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Red Stripe...aka Russian Red....they will get huge!

"eyes"

This is the flower of the plant above.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

that looks more like futurity orange?...maybe?

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

That is Wyoming.........if I ever saw a Wyoming.

"eyes"

I'm even more confused than when I started and just to make things more fun. Would anyone happen to know what is this one? Also dark foliage.LOL! thnaks everyone.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731
Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

Gardenia-
I'm no expert,but I have some like this,and they are "tropicanna" could this be the same?

I hope so... I really wanted Tropicana. I have no clue where I got it from but I love it. Thank you, Linda!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

You said the first plant came fromWal-Mart, so it's likely pretty common, see if Australia matches up with yours
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/37653/

and the second one looks like Wyoming to me, but you can compare:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3302/

Tropicanna has very distinctive, brightly striped leaves
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/3301/

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Sure looks like my Red Stripe aka Russian Red but I have never seen one bloom so short.. mine bloom at 5 to 6 ft and are blooming now. They are also more red but sometimes look a little orange when the water is more alkaline when we are in drought.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Russian Red sure is a good one, so nice and tall, a nice backdrop for the landscape....

well, hey Tammie, how ya doing, lady? sooo busy with planting and such here

Hey there, I am doing just peachy! Been trying to get my cannas to grow! The ONLY thing doing well are my Red Stripes.. here is a picture of them today. Everything else is less than a ft tall!

They are at the end of my patio and don't get as much sun. Very happy this year. Last year they were sad looking. I wondered if they were virused but I think it was the acidic water from the hot tub. Replaced the hot tub for a smaller one.

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

Here is a close up of a bloom AKA Red Russian

I actually thinned these out a little this year!

Thumbnail by LhasaLover
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

those look great!! mine don't grow that tall that fast but I do have to thin them every year. Mine aren't close to bloomng yet!

I was shocked that mine are blooming. I have never had cannas bloom this early. I have a yellow king humbert or Florence Vaughn not sure which it is...that is about to bloom also. Just the ones around the patio.. everything else in the yard is barely out of the ground! Strange. These just shot up.... one day they were a foot tall the next they were blooming.. at least that is what it seemed to me. I sure miss my Cleopatra.. it did not come back this year.

I want to dig out some of these and put in some of the tropicanna I have transplanted out of my mothers bed.. they are growing great at her house and I think they will do well at the end here.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2009 5:29 PM

Thank you so much everyone for your help. One of them is Wyoming for sure because I had purchased some rhizomes in Lowes. The other one still dont know but either way they are all so beautiful. All of my cannas are blooming and it is a treat to go out in the morning and look at different bloom everyday.

Tammie that is so pretty. I can't wait for my tall cannas grow that big. I guess I might have to wait to next year to see them in their full splendor. I am so glad I went crazy in the Horn Canna Coop and all the ones I purchased on my own. My compulsion is paying off...LOL!

I want to post a few more just to share the blooms with everyone. If you know the names feel free to share. LOL!

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

I love the yellow on this one.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

This is another beauty.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

Ehemanii from seeds

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

Might be a dwarf.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

Could this one be Erubis? I am horrible with name and/or tags for that matter.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.