just moved to GA

Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

I just moved to Georgia. I had planned on starting with the master gardening program in TN before the move. I don't seem to be able to find anywhere in Northwest Georgia where I could get involved with a program. Anyone here from the area know of a local program?

Thanks
Becky

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi, Here is a link to a list of regional MG groups, but you could start with the closest extension agent since they are the people to offer the MG classes.
http://www.georgiamastergardeners.com/localmgclubs.html
This is the link for Whitfield County's extension agent.
http://www.caes.uga.edu/extension/county.cfm?CountyOfficeID=332

Good luck and Welcome to Ga. and the MG program. I have been an MG for 10 yrs. in Banks County, NE Ga.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

thanks--I had tried that, but it doesn't look like Catoosa or Whitfield county has a master gardener program

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

You don't have to take the classes in your home county. I took mine at the State Botanical Gardens in Athens, about 50 min. away (and 2 counties!).

In our last Madison county class, I believe we had 4 counties represented.

Then you can just work with your ext. agent to get your projects/hours in -- or in my case as the only MG in the county at the time, I had to come up with my own projects. Since then I have joined the Madison County MGers in their club.

Just talk to your county agent. He or she will work with you. Hall Co.'s club is huge and you may be able to take a class with them. Also, now, classes are being held via the internet at the ext. offices.

Dalton, GA(Zone 7b)

the internet may work--I would love to be able to drive, but I work full time and most of the classes I could take would be at night--the projects I can do on the weekends, but the classes are what's tough to get to if they are not relatively close--I will get in touch with the local agent and see what they say--thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.