ack! Bear's Breeches (Acanthus) seeds rotting

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

What am I doing wrong?? I check them everyday, but the bottom ones have turned black, mushy, and there's no seed inside. Can you help?

tiG

Could be a fungal infection. Has it been raining much in your area?

All the seeds from my acathus mollis and hirsutus ping out of their pods and I'm never able to catch them.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, it's not rained much, but I have brugs in pots all around this plant, and you know how much you have to water them:( oh, I was really hoping for seeds. I'll try moving some of the closest brugs and try not to water the BB too much. Maybe I can still save some of them, thanks!!!

I've never tried the seeds, but I have tons of plants and I'd be happy to ship you some roots if you want, they root incredibly easy. Let me know.

Beth

Portland, OR(Zone 8a)

DH spent the day chasing the little rascals he was sure were throwing stones at the house....but never could so much as see them....then he noticed fairly good sized brown seeds on the porch. It was the Acanthus mollis launching out of their seed pod and bouncing off the house...not the neighborhood darlings at all! tiG- I'll have seed for you...yours must be ejecting out of the pod when you aren't looking and then the pod rots. Aren't plants fun....don't believe I'll ever get tired of them! Dee

This message was edited Thursday, Sep 13th 5:40 PM

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Ha! deed, that is funny!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.