Move data etc. to permanent SD "drive"

Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, folks. I could use some help with my brain. My laptop, my primary-use machine, is starting to run a bit slow. I've got tons of pics (it's all DGs fault), too much data I'm loathe to throw out, and doubtless dozens of miscreant registry links. I have Norton AV on-board and am thus not concerned about some kind of virus et al problem.

I'm thinking that it might be helpful to install a 4 gig card as my default "data drive." I've copied then undid copy; move then undid move, as none of these seemed to point my machine to the "new" drive.

1) what do I need to do to make this alternate pointing to take place? In other words, I want opening an Office document to automatically point to the new e: drive rather than the old c: drive. Is that possible? To "retrain" it, as it were?

2) am I barking (to use a poodle metaphor) up the wrong tree here? Does it make sense, what I'm planning here? I do have, BTW, an ACER Inspire One with 120 gigs of storage, which is probably a good place to store pics and data, as I'm a Babyboomer with no investment in 'puter games or huge collections of movies or music and don't need the storage for such things. But the battery on it actually crashed within 6 months of purchasing it and I'm terrified that such storage would be lost under similar circumstances when/if it happens again.

Does anyone have any wisdom here for me? I'm kind of at a loss just now.

TIA,
Linda

This thread has 9 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!