Moving sweet autumn

Rougemont, NC(Zone 7a)

I need to enlarge my veggie. garden so i need to move sweet autumn, when is the best to do it. also can it be divided it is about ten years old.
jeeper55

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The Tar Heels and Blue Devils agree on avoiding growing this plant at all!:

http://ncbg.unc.edu/pages/74/

http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/trees/clte.html

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

The best time to transplant your Sweet Autumn Clematis would be in late winter/early spring while your plant is still dormant..digging as deep and wide to make sure you get all the roots..have the new planting hole already dug before digging up your SAC..keep new area moist until you see it starting to green up again..I personally find this clematis too beautiful to consider invasive as the previous poster has mentioned from an online website..that decision is yours...as I am sure you love it since you wish to keep and relocate...Jeanne

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 10:43 AM

Any perceived "beauty" has nothing to do with the ecological and economic damage this and other plants cause. Its invasiveness in the east is an undeniable fact. I sure don't need a website to know that, it's a roadside weed here.

Rougemont, NC(Zone 7a)

thank you all for the replies but i really want to keep it as it has never been very invasive here. like i said it has been growing on this fence for 10 years and is very beautiful plant an never has spread everywhere like some people said it did, I just did not want to kill it.

thanks Jeeper55

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

You are so welcomed Jeeper..I've heard the same thing about SAC from other people in NC..that it isn't invasive and such a joy...goodluck and Happy New Year...Jeanne

I wonder why the USDA, Duke University, and the UNC Chapel Hill Botanical Garden would say it's invasive then? They're in North Carolina too.

Louisville, KY

I weed it out of my garden on a regular basis. It still seeds itself and has come back year after year. The original plant was destroyed 3 years ago.

Delaware, OH

if your sweet autumn is 10 years old, there are probable many plants comprising the "plant" as it is a vigorous self seeder , as a species or almost species it seeds true an blooms second year. so you can divide it. most mature SA's ar emutiple plants because of this.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.