Too many seeds in a package!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Today I spent a great deal of the day reading my now hefty stack of seed catalogs and am frustrated at the fact that, as usual, I need far fewer seeds than are ever offered by most vendors in their packs. Plus the prices have gone way up. Just how many eggplants does a girl need? I generally just save the extras and use them up over a few years, but I would rather find a supplier who sells a more modest amount that are packaged for the average home vegetable and flower grower.

Does anyone know a vendor who packages smaller amounts or should I try the seed swap? I looked at the list in the seed swap and was not excited about wading through it, plus I saw no names that I recognized from the Northeast. It just seems like a waste of money to buy seeds that I can't possible plant in a small garden or just save them for years. Ideas? Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Pinetree seeds in Maine offers packages with fewer seeds than many other suppliers at modest prices.

http://www.superseeds.com

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Maybe a northeast vegi Round Robin Swap?

Rockport, ME(Zone 5b)

Happy New Year everyone! I've heard for years that Pinetree is good about offering smaller amounts of seeds.

My mother is already bugging me about the Northeast RU. Any talk of that yet, or is it waaaay too early?

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Yes - trading might be the best option. There are many seed swap options outside of DG too. AHS has its annual seed program for members. You can trade or make a small donation. They usually have a number of veggies.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
drumlin - My mother is already bugging me about the Northeast RU. Any talk of that yet, or is it waaaay too early?

First of all, tell your mom to quit bugging you, LOL!
As far as the RU goes, I think it's a little too early to talk, but we can sing! -
"I'm dreaming of a green R U . . . "!

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

LoL

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

DonShirer, I will take a serious look at Pinetree. I ordered a few things from them before and had forgotten about their good prices.

I think I may put together my "to buy list" and then post it here and see if anyone wants to share much of it with me. I have basic wants and am flexible, but I think I want to divide it up with only one or two other people. Is this legal to do on DG? I assume I can post my list here and then tell anyone who is interested in sharing can D-mail me. I could list it as a tiny seed coop, which would be simple. Thanks for all the thoughts and the eBay site. Patti

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Patti, I do mostly veggies so if you are looking just a few seeds of some types, I would be happy to send you some.
I have already ordered from Pinetree and Fedco. Just waiting for them to arrive.
For instance, I ordered a new eggplant variety last month and when it came there were 600 seeds in the packet. It seems it was a European variety and they sell large packets. LOL
I have many types of tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and cukes. Most people only set out a few plants of each type every year.
If you would rather do a swap, we could do that, too.
Cyndie

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh , Cyndiehook, see how it happens. Just the suggestion of a particular kind of swap let the games begin. I love this place.
Make sure you let me know if this turns into a northeast Round Robin Swap. I want in. I have veggies and herbs and flowers. Too many of everything. Because I cant say no to the order button. Or the trade button.
Robin

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Well, If we can get a few more people, I am in. We just have to make sure we make them "small packets". Wouldn't want to sidetrack the original purpose of Patti's thread. ;)

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes the northeast small seed count round robin. 18 seeds per packet maybe? 18 Participants maybe?9 states. The Northeast region covers nine states which are: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania?
Robin

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Sounds good.!
I certainly have enough seeds to start a box going around.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Me Too Lets see who wants to join.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Did I hear Seed Swap ?? ^_^

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Here they come Cyndie!!! Yes Willie bring some NE friends!!

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

We need someone to organize one?? I am not sure Patti was volunteering to run one, was she?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Umm who is Patti Maybe Cyndi is I think in one of the recent post she said she had a box she could put together to start it off. Lets see how it goes. I am not sure I am qualified to start the swap. Maybe some trouble. Mentioning a swap but a swap itself ?

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh I see Patti started the thread...She was looking for smaller packages. Cyndi and I chimed in.

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

I will start the Robin. I have a big enough stash to I think.
I will start a separate thread since we hijacked Patti's
She doesn't really know about it yet. hehehe
Cyndie

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Great Cyndi!! Yeah. We have a starter. Maybe we should Dmail Pattie and thank her and invite her?
Thank You
Robin

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Cyndie, I haven't seen the new thread yet. But, then again, it's only been an hour!

I just have flowers, no veggies, but I'm sure I could throw some into this swap.

Most of the seed swaps intimidate me because I usually don't have large enough amounts of seed to pass around.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Primrose Sue!!! SO nice to see you. I bet some of us could use the flowers instead of the veggies!! Right everyone? Who is going to get in everyone on the thread from the Northeast? Come on you know you cant just lurk for long ..Just tell the truth don't hold back sign up your going to anyway.
Robin

Central, ME(Zone 5a)

Okay, I have never done this, so let me know if it doesn't work. The new thread for the Swap:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/939157/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.