January Daily Weather..... The First Thread of 2009

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2009 12:01 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy New Years to you too!! I still have an hour to go. LOL

It's cold outside and I swear there has to be a window open or a door open cause I have cold air hitting me here and driving me nuts. LOL

Here's a pic of a cardinal and another bird on my barn feeder. The quality is a little off since I was in the house and used my super zoom on them. lol.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Happy New Years Everyone!

19º F tonight with a fresh batch of lake effect snow on the ground.

Photo.......Son and grandson on Christmas day.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 7a)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!

The year is finally over. Thank you all for making it a good one.

27°F with 43º expected as our high. We may or may not get rain/snow.
Feels like: 16°F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 21°
Humidity: 74%
Visibility: 10 miles
Precip in last hr: 0 in
Precip last 24 hrs: 0 in
Wind: 13 mph SE
Sunrise: 7:51 AM
Sunset: 5:10 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Happy New Year Everyone!

LOL at Berry Moosemas and at JW!!
E_B – That’s a wonderful picture!

53.4 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 29 °F
Wind: 6.4 mphfrom the ENE
Wind Gust: 8.8 mph
Pressure: 30.33 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Rest of Today
Increasing cloudiness...initially high clouds. Breezy...cooler. High 59. East winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

25° (Wind Chill 16°) and we're off to Lowe's.

When I get back I'll tell you the story of the Migrating Mooose.
Let's just say for now it involves The HD, Gift Cards and going to get some Beadboard.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Bright Sunny Clear & 31°

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Of course it's a chamber of commerce day today. Have you ever seen it rain for the Rose Bowl?

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 34 min 3 sec ago
68 °F
Clear
Humidity: 32%
Dew Point: 37 °F
Wind: 4 mph from the South
Pressure: 30.02 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Some of that world-famous Big Sur scenery

Thumbnail by Kelli

I'll bet most of you have seen this waterfall before - in pictures taken by professionals under better lighting conditions.

Thumbnail by Kelli

some more scenery - after this my battery was dead

Thumbnail by Kelli
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well it rained when we went Kelli.... LOL!
But I like the after parade better anyway.
Much better to take pictures and a MUCH friendlier crowd....

Ric

(Zone 3b)

Minus 20F at my house~ Minus 30 at my daughter's home a mile from here.
Happy new year everyone.
ric~the moose is great and looks right at home munching plants around it.
JW is great with bed-head:), Joey. So cute.
kelli~love the drive and scenery. Would love to see that area someday; but till then, thanks for the wonderful photos.
E_B~what a beautiful photo of your "guys".. very nice.
pepper23~you did good~they are great; I love the colorful cardinal.
My daughter~
We're off to go have brunch w/friends as it's my husband's birthday. Cake later with family here.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Happy New Year from Massachusetts (for contrast). Just came in from snowshoeing up to the hayfield next door.
High of 15 F and low of 9 F today. A big 11 degrees right now.

Thumbnail by boojum

I guess you win for contrast kiska!! Love the pic of your daughter. And here's me all invigorated in the cold.

Thumbnail by boojum
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

It's a brand new year and I think we're all ready for it!

I've gone thru every flower catalogue that's come and made a wish list to be pared down later.

I've gone thru garden books calculating how much I need to grow next year for canning. I have pounds of food and jars needed, written down.

I wrote down all the seeds I have, flower and garden, in alphabetical order.

I have all Christmas decorations down and put away, inside and out! I'm caught up on housework.

I made a large pan of roasted vegetables, and potato salad for dinner. It's a version of stone soup. I'll base the meat around it till it's gone.

Today, it hit 34*, was cloudy and quiet! The wind blew, so it wasn't very nice out.

Pepper, my favorite bird!

Early, you have a beautiful family!

Kwanjin, that's beautiful! I feel the same way!

Happy New Year Sharon!

Ric, beautiful baubles!

Dyson, sun's up and so are you! Happy New Year!

Kelli, Happy new Year! After the snow and ice your pictures are gorgeous!

Kiska, that is much too cold!! I loveyour daughters expression and cold red nose ;o)

Hi Boojum! Welcome from me! Love the snowshoe tracks and your jaunty posture! You look toasty warm!

Grandson Colton and me.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

And my Grandson Cael.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

Boojum, you look very cozy. It looks, in your first post, that you have a Snuffalufagus. (sp?)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ROFLOL, Celia! That bush DOES look like a Snuffalufagus!! (I don't know how to spell it either.)

Welcome to the weather thread, Boojum! :-)

That's a fabulous (and cold!!) photo of your daughter, Jackie.

You've gotten a lot done, Sally! I think I'm on the opposite pole from you... My house is still a mess, and my Christmas tree is still up. Charles and the bunnies are out shopping for groceries for dinner. I'm watching football and trying to get the "Christmas" movie done. (It never ever has gotten done before Christmas.... I should just call it a New Year's movie. LOL) I'm finishing up adding photos to December, then I need to go back and do some fine tuning and add the music. I'm hoping to get it done tonight, but it depends on how much time I spend turned the other way in my chair staring at the tv. LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 4:53pm CST (4 min ago)
Temperature 68 °F 20 °C
Dew Point 57 °F 14 °C
Humidity 70%
Pressure 29.97 in 1014.9 mb
Wind Speed 8 MPH 7 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling 5500 ft 1676 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks Lightning detector not working.
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 45.0°F / 7.2°C

Thanks for the welcome. I used to visit a lot and then just got hung up in orchids and amaryllis and photos. I am amazed at all the projects folks are accomplishing while I sleep a lot and play with my orchids and grandboys. I work at a school several days a week so I had a 12 day vacation this year! Most of the time I spent too much money and ate a ton. I was pretty cozy. But I should have worn my leggings. My thighs got cold. I forget the name of my bent over tree-it was on the property when I bought it. It would be a bundle to buy it now since it's a rare specimen plant, but I think I will call it Snuffleufagus from now on!!

Thumbnail by boojum
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi Boojum!!

It got into the 40s today with some wind and mostly sunny. Now Dyson Dark.

My parents and I went to Nebraska Furniture Mart over in Kansas today and looked around. We went mainly to look at a new flooring they have that's called Snaplock. It's porcelein with a plastic backing on it so you can lay it directly over vinyl or other floors instead of using backerboard and all that. It's pretty neat and my dad likes enough to see if a client of his will try it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper we had an early form of Snaplock at my old place of employment.
It was vinyl over MDF looked just like Porcelain....sounded like a wood floor when you walked on it.
VERY weird feeling... but it held up like Very well in a high traffic situation.

Kiska that's just TOO COLD!

Boojum Welcome Back!
I miss the winter hiking... just not the same w/o snow.
Beautiful shots!

Billy there's no doubt where the GKids got their smiles!

Kelli thanks for those shots!
I just love the coast there.
THAT's where I want to live.

36° here and just look at Pepper's Weather today for mine tomorrow...lol!

We started back on the FPR today.
Some more beadboard up and the HardiBacker down for the tile on the Window Seat.
Tomorrow will see everything but the Tile done there.
Still working out the design on the Cab/Sewing Station on the West Wall.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

High of 36º this afternoon.
17º now.

Lazy day, sat by computer all day. I totaled all my expenses for 2008. Oh, my I'm not shorting the economy!
Finished up the design & estimate for the big entertainment center with fireplace. Sending out the papers by mail tomorrow. Then wait to see what people think. Maybe they will like it or I will have to change some things. Already know we are going to do it, just not sure what it will look like. He gave me some of their ideas & I worked them into the design.

Tomorrow we are going to finish up some small projects. 3 big ones are on the burner, so time to get these little ones out of the way.

Are those Jen-weld windows, Ric. Ours look just like those & boy do they keep the cold & wind out. With that low-E glass, we are raising African Violets in the south windows.
Looks good by the way.

Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks Bernie!
They are Anderson windows. Vinyl, Low E, Argon, Single Hung.
Man do they keep out the air and the noise...
At 20 degrees and 20 MPH wind you couldn't feel a bit of a draft.
A far cry from our last ones.
Nice AV's! Hard to beleive that's a South Window.

Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE! It's been an exausting year for me, but so rewarding, I accomplished a lot and, most of all, I have made such great friends here! Thank you all for accepting me here with you and for being here for me all this time!
Kiska, brrr, that's cold, poor your DD ! Great picture, wonderful view!
Ric, what a moose, great, can't wait to hear the story! Love those windows, with the down part coming up, so American...great job and wonderful view of the garden for Robyn !
Sally, so great to see you so happy with your grandsons! You all are looking great! You're such a young grandma! I just love your rocking chair...sorry, I couldn't have missed that beauty ! You are doing a lot...when are you resting?
Marylyn, such great family picture ! Your bunnies have their dad's face, that's for sure! He must be the Big Bunny!LOL My tree is up too and I don't intend to get him down until after the 10th!
Kelli, great pics, like always...thanks for the treat! Too bad your batter died! I oftenly take it out when this happens and put it back , then it works for a few more pics...maybe you can try it too!
Bernie, a fireplace sounds great! If it wasn't for the tiles, those could seem like my African violets!LOL
Boojum, so great to see you again...looking great! You also have so much snow ! Where are all those tons of food going...can't find it on you !LOL You play with your grandsons and take care of your orchids and amaryllis, if this is what makes you feel best, you're doing a great job! And don't forget to take pics of all and send it to us, you are so good at it!
Celia, beautiful sky and amasing daffodil!
Sharon, I forgot to mention how much I like your table and chairs, looking so great in your livingroom !That Boo is so funny!
Rusty, your CC has such a beautiful color and more buds to bloom, wow!
Joey, aweeeeeeeeeee, little Santa's helper is sleepy! Those pics are treasures, aren't they?
E_B, beautiful family picture! Your DS is so young, yet has already a family and is such a loving dad! Have you got any new pics with your beautiful surroundings?

I'm finally done with working for a few days...off from work until Monday and off from house work too !LOL It's been a crazy week again, working everyday , writing the article and making preparations for the New Year's Eve dinner too. We were alone, just me and DH, but I still like to have our dinner table look festive ! DS was with his friends, they had a party on New Year's Eve and he came last night . DD was out on the street with her BF, many are doing this in Italy, they have many entertainments there ...they also have this in Romania lately .
Here is our dinner table on New Years Eve...I was at work at noon until 5 p.m and hardly could finish all the decorations until almost midnight ...DH was helping a lot while sleeping on the coach!LOL
Hugs,
Adina

This message was edited Jan 2, 2009 5:18 AM

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Yesterday morning, same table!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Yesterday morning it was sunny, but freezing outside.Buck was searching for some grass to eat, but it was frozen!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

He decided to take a piece of ice and play!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Hi Adina. How nice to wake up to all your pics. I especially like your festive NYE dinner table and Buck with ice! My DD was here for the week but took off for New York City to play on New Years Eve even though she had to ride on a bus all day through a snowstorm. She is very determined to do what she likes!! I would have curled up with my new orchid book for the day! Actually that IS what I did....

Should be a lot warmer today-high of 30 degrees F. But it's 12 now. Off to water the orchids and get my DGS.

Thumbnail by boojum
(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone and Happy New Year!!!!

I don't know about you but we're pretty happy to have 2008 behind us ..... it was an annus horribilis if there ever was one. Now here's hoping we'll start to see some improvements in 2009 ..... although it will be rough going the next few months at least. The festivities will soon be over and it's back to the grim reality of things ....... (sigh)

We had a lovely New Year's Eve at home. Wonderful evening although the fireworks weren't quite as extravagant as the past few years ...... there are fewer people that can afford to spend big money on fireworks ..... Still it was no where close to being dull and I'm sure the tourists got their money's worth ;-) lol The fireworks sales are the main income for the rescue squads around the country so we bought one fireworks "cake" to do our duty of supporting them. This year they offered three new ones : "the politicians", "the money moghuls" and "the public" so people could choose who they wanted to put the blame on and blow up on new years! lol. DH bought the politicians one, it was quite good :-)

Kelli - absolutely wonderful photos from your trip. Very cool to see the elephant seals in person, and yes I've seen photos of that waterfall! How cool to see it person. That's very high on my "want to see" list!

Sally - you are so organised! Christmas won't be over until next Tuesday so we won't be putting our decorations away until next week ;-) Great photo of you and the boys!

Sharon - such sweet photos of Sweet pea and Prissy :-) Nice table! :-)

Joey - JW is so cute!

Adina - great article! Your table looks festive!

Boojum - Hi!

Marylyn - glad your parents made it safely and had a good visit. I know you were all sorry to see them leave.

Ric - very nice moose! Hildur Eva said she'd like to have one ;-) lol

Kiska - beautiful! And the vaporizing coffee is so cool!

It's 46°F, slightly breezy and cloudy. Rain yesterday. Could rain today as well.

Have a great day!

"The politicians" going up in smoke! lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

More fireworks :-) That's DH's grandmother on the photo (and DH's back).

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

And more .... ;-) lol

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Hi back, Rann! Wow! That last one is spectacular. What fun. Fireworks don't happen in winter here. I think we're missing something!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Fireworks happen here in winter. A neighbor blew off his arm from the elbow down at Thanksgiving.
I see why they are illegal here except for professionals.

9º this morning. partly sunny.

Bernie

(Zone 3b)

Happy New Year, 2nd day:))
Minus 18F; dark.
Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Areas of fog in the morning. Highs zero to 10 below. Variable wind 10 mph
Fireworks are used here in the winter, too, rann. Being 30 below zero, we didn't even bother to go outdoors to watch the neighbor's display. (Getting lazy I guess)>
Good job with the photos of them. Hope the year will be much better.
Adina~your table looked beautiful; you certainly have had a busy year; nice to have watched your new home, especially.
boojum~welcome, don't you just love winter? Once it gets above zero, we'll go snowshoeing again and I look forward to seeing the familiar in a new way.
ric~you've also had a productive year and one that's been great to follow the projects as you work.
CountryGardens~Seems there's never a dull moment there-bet the new project will be very successful and there'll be happy clients.
Yesterday, while we were outdoors, two moose wandered into the yard. Minus 18 at the time. My DH w/one in the background.

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

I can't seem to get motivated today. Nothing going on and I'm alone for awhile. DH went off to his sisters so they could all go meet with MILs lawyer. So much to take care of it will probably take all day.

It's warmer outside right now. 45º and the snow is melting off the house. I may go out and see what I can do.

Good thing the moose are so comfortable with you and hubby, Kiska. Great shot!

Adina, that's a lovely table. We still have our tree/table up, too. Buck is so funny! LOL

Rann, fireworks would do wonders for my morale today! Thanks for the pics!

Bernie, I can't seem to keep AV alive longer than a couple of years. Anything special you do?

Our weather site is done today. It's cloudy and breezy.

Easter Island head looks like he had a horrible accident.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Boojum, what does your DD play? I know about the daughters doing what they want!LOL
Rann, missed your posts, Happy New Year ! Your fireworks were great ! Is that your house?
Kiska, your views are so beautiful...love the moose! It's been great for me too to share with you the construction of my house!
Bernie, in Romania fireworks are allowed, but only for the New Year's Eve and they need a special paper to sell it, but only begining with December 30!How scary about your neighbor! Many accidents have happened here too, some have lost their eyes even !
It's been warmer today and sunny again. We had some friends coming over for lunch and it was nice to see them again. I tried to take some pics of the Christmas tree lights on the dark...not so great!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

People around here are always blowing fingers off. We had one neighbor, several years ago, who was shooting bottle rockets under cars through the parking lot. What an idiot! He told the police when they arrived, he wanted to see how many cars he could get them to go under at one time. He couldn't figure out what why he was in trouble and why he was getting a ticket!

Hi, Celia! I'm sending a few pics to light up your spirit ! Here is Buck running wild near his brother's cottage!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The cake I made for New Year's Eve dinner.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

LOL Thanks, Adina. Buck is such a handsome boy. That cake looks delicious!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.