Flowering in January 09

Sydney, Australia

A pinch and a punch for the first of the month!
Forgot this is flowering down the side of the house.
Very showy native climber.
Bower of Beauty (Pandorea jasminoides)
Have a great day
Steve

Thumbnail by Budgieman

Pale pink mandevilla ...hi steve and everyone ...happy Jan 1st...2009.

Thumbnail by

Dwarf pinks ...mandavilla (yawning)

Thumbnail by

Snail creeper starting up (rubbing eyes)

Thumbnail by
Sydney, Australia

Hey Chrissy
I think my neighbours have your problem.
It's awfully quiet around here so I've started sanding my church pew.
How cruel am I!
(I like the Snail Creeper)
Cheers
Steve

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Hi all
was wondering if the cacti expert (Brian) could ID this for me...thanks Mya

Thumbnail by MyaC
Sydney, Australia

Wow Mya
I'll be interested to know also.
That plant really makes a statement!
Steve

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Myac. I saw what I think was that tree while in Qld. some years ago. It was in a Garden Centre/Nursery Arboretum and we were told that it was a tree from the tropics but I can't remember what it was. It is not a cactus because those spikey things are thorns not spines. I reckon that the member Metrosideros will know it I'll ask if he will have a look.
Regards

Inland S.E QLD , Australia

Happy New year everyone!! Mya your plant is a Pacypodium lamereii

Thanks Brian,it's one gorgeous tree,here's another one in the same garden....everyone on the island is drooling over this garden, which was planted last week.....yes this garden is just 1 week old......

Thumbnail by MyaC

Judy, you're a Wikepedia of plants....thanks,going over to check on google...Happy New Year!!!!!!

How are your Angel cuttings going?

Oh Mya,Look at the flowers..don't they remind you of your beloved frangipanis, oleanders and adeniums huh?lol
Brugs are doing great thanks...I lost the first ones though, I think they just succumbed to the long delay in post.
It just took me forever to post this pic...my broadband has been slowed right down...(thanks to son and his downloading hhmmmm!!) so I may not be posting any more pics for a couple of days.

Thumbnail by brical1
Whangarei, New Zealand(Zone 9b)

Happy New year everyone
This flower has just opened, its the swamp orchid phaius tankervillae. I've only had the plant a few months so I'm rapt. A good start to the year

Thumbnail by Northlander

Oh boy I have one of those ...I will love it much more now thanks everyone ...I thought it was just a prickly thingo ....
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/509/
here is my bubba ...two years old ...drops the leaves in winter leaves pop back in summer ...I have it on the verandah in morning sun should it go outside?

Thumbnail by

I have had trouble trying to access the net all day I guess it is because of the holiday (all the kids are chatting on it) ...I have bean pods forming on the ice cream bean tree whoopee!

Thumbnail by

I was up at 5 putting angels into heavy shade because of the dreadful hot winds ...it's been a stinker of a day in terms of heat.
Here is my peaches and cream hibiscus ...sporting

Thumbnail by

Last of all for today my firecrackers ...4'oclocks ...always partying!
Steve I hope to have snail creeper seeds this autumn, just remind me then and I will send you some.
Tommorrow the crepe myrtles

Thumbnail by
Sydney, Australia

Chrissy, please remind me to remind you. Would love some seeds.
Are your Crepe Myrtles still flowering?
Is there anything you don't have there?
Cheers
Steve

Not much ^_^
chrissy

Barmera, Australia

G'Day Myac
I've been reading up on your plant (Assuming it is a Pachypodium) and I doubt that was the tree I saw at Nambor because that tree was at least 20ft tall and the reading indicates 6 to 8 ft for the Pachypodium.
Regards

It comes with being a gardener for over 35years it is amazing how many plants you accumulate in that time ... you will find out ...not just what you buy but from friends relatives ...saving half dead things from the tip (my grass tree) etc. At Woronora I had a native garden but the big gums caused me to move on ...too dangerous, the gums were there before me so I just moved on after 12 years,
I have had a cottage garden for 8 years ...old english roses, all the lovely frilly cottage plants but the drought and high temps were a battle. I have been here almost 18 years and only grow tough and tolerant triffids now with a leaning towards tropical stuff.

Thumbnail by

You can't always believe what you read though, many of my plants are way bigger than indicated look at this it is very tall
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/23006/
I think certain conditions may make differences.One of the gardeners says that they grow taller in the tropics (maybe heat and water)

This message was edited Jan 1, 2009 7:46 PM

Sydney, Australia

I guess you are right. I collect but don't have the room. Having a second garden now will help. I've already taken about 40 pots down. They are in the staging area awaiting garden construction. We have a Dracena that my wife found on the side of the road. No pot and no soil. It is very grand now. I'll post a pic at some stage. Where at Woronora were you. Near the river or the Heights? Either way it's a very nice spot. I can understand your triffid stage. Less work.
Steve

our home was on the water in Prince Edward Park Road ...we had our own wharf and it was like living on a house boat (windows all around so all you saw was water) ...we had wild Gymea lillies, geebungs ... blueberry ash (the one with pink blooms) native frangipani, and various huge gums that would throw huge branches at our home ...we lived 82 stairs and three long landings down into the valley from the garage up top, we were the only home down on the river on our side of the valley ...in it's own way it was paradise ...our bedroom window looked out onto a stone face ...which had wild ferns growing out of the crevices. Beautiful place.

Judy here's my frangipani that I got from Radical Bay.....It's first inflo...looks like yours...fancy the Madagascar Palm being from the same family as frangis....should cross pollinate LOL
Chrissy ,lucky you on your Madagascar Palm, I will acquire one for sure,one that is established somewhat ,too impatient to wait forever for it to flower.....

Thumbnail by MyaC

I of course had to smell it and it smells like fresh citrus.......

Thumbnail by MyaC

Mya,Don't they look like something out of the 'Flintstones'!!LOL
Yes your frangi does look a lot like mine...I just call it fruit salad,it is particularly fragrant in the afternoon.I have a couple of others out too at the moment.Do you have the dwarf singapore pink...mine is blooming now.

Beautiful frangipanis ...I envy you having them out so early ...mine usually don't until Autumn ...not consistantly warm enough I think.
Lovely things.
Well here are some burn't crepe myrtles after the blowtorch weather yesterday ...mine are just starting to flower here, lavender

Thumbnail by

That was a beautiful orchid northlander ...NZ sure does orchids well.
Pink crepe myrtle

Thumbnail by

White

Thumbnail by

I have some dwarf ones too but only in bud at the moment ...my mature ones I can't get close to any more because hubby threw a shed thingy in front of them ...they are now between that and the fence ...they are lavender and pink, sorry I can't get closer.

Thumbnail by

grevillia superb and tango supreme boge ...with noisy minor.

Thumbnail by

Here have a plum

Thumbnail by

Quince almost ripe

Thumbnail by

Pink Lady apple still needs to get pink ...I love these apples!

Thumbnail by

Persimmon getting bigger

Thumbnail by

Butterbomb Brugmansia still throwing 6 pointers instead of the 5 ...about 50% of the blooms so far beautiful perfume and standing up well to the heat.

Thumbnail by

Colour slightly washed out from the high temps but still beautiful!
Love the way it sits up looking at you ...lots of pollen ...a great Angel!

Thumbnail by

Summer Jasmine! smells so wonderful!

Thumbnail by

Fat bottomed babies all leafing out well now

Thumbnail by

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.