I.D. needed

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Somehow I don't have a name near this hosta but I do think I'd recognize it if I heard it.

It's the one under the big white X.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Thumbnail by pirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh -- i think i can answer that one... June ??

what a beaut!

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

If that is June, I can't wait till my two little bitty ones get big. So pretty!! BEV

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Oh yeah, that looks like June to me. :) One of my favorites!

http://www.hostalibrary.org/j/j.html

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i know what ya mean Bev ... i too have a young June... it's pretty but not THAT pretty... yet.

I do appreciate the help of everyone.

The hosta in question was planted a few years before I bought June. Here's June as I bought it:

Thumbnail by pirl

Here's June and Remember me at the right side of the garden and the plant in question (with the ? mark) at the opposite side. I know I didn't buy two June's.

Thumbnail by pirl

Maybe this is a better photo of the plant. It appears more blue/green than June.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

You sure you didn't mix your tags up? :)

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Pirl, I had a look through my pics and the only ones it looks similar to is Touch of Class and Paul's Glory early in the season. But the mound seems too open for Touch of Class and the leaves too narrow for Paul's Glory. Does the centre colour change over the season? When does it flower? Hopefully someone else will recognize it.

Nice shade bed, BTW. Love your statue.

Sandy

Ticker - The one in question was planted at the opposite end of that bed and was there for years before I bought June and Remember Me, which are planted way to the right.

Paul's Glory is on the opposite side of the house so I'd rule that out. Touch of Class is not one I have.

Yes, the color does change. I'll try to find it both early in the season and as late as I can. If I find a photo of it in flower I'll be able to get the date.

All of the plants to the left of the statue, including Miss ? get very little or no sun at all - ever.

Thanks, sanannie!

With the euphorbia May 10:

Thumbnail by pirl

As a baby 2005-0909:

(Just the fact that I see it as a baby in 2005 dispells my belief that it was there for years!)

Thumbnail by pirl

Here the leaves look much darker. Photo taken (oddly enough) exactly three years later - 2008-0909.

Thumbnail by pirl
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Did you happen to bury the nursery tag with it? I do that if I have a nursery tag in case my other marker gets pulled up by accident.

How I wish I had!

By June I should have enough leaves on it to remove one leaf from the plant in question, and one from the June I bought and Paul's Glory so I can lay them out along with a ruler to further help with identifying it.

I love it exactly where it's growing but I should probably remove some of it and try it in a spot that gets a touch more sun to see if that would help solve the mystery.

The problem is that people ask me what the name of it is and I have no answer.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Very pretty pirl!!! I love looking and getting ideas. I also love your statue! Nice colors, sorry I do not know the name of the hosta in question. I am just being nosy!!! Need to see some hostas or flowers, fun to nose around in the dead of winter huh? But the hosta is beautiful. Love the colors and "streaks". Ronna

Thanks, Ronna. I got the "Bird Girl" (from "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil") at a garage sale. I felt it was perfect for that spot.

I love the hosta as well. I spent about an hour last night going over old trades to see if that's how it arrived in the garden.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I also wondered about Touch of Class. Mine was in a dark spot for years. I moved it last spring to a spot with more light and it has lightened up a bit. But it's not a large mound. How long have you had yours? I look forward to seeing some closer shots of it next spring.

Ann

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

I'm guessing I got it in 2005 from the size of the photo above where I said it was a baby and that's what leads me to believe I may have it from a DG trade since I joined in May of '05. Thanks, Ann, it just might be Touch of Class though the name doesn't ring a bell as something I ever had either from a trade or from a purchase. I'll take more photos in spring.

Dallas, TX

Well I guess you guys have figured out that Hosta is June. now I can go back and start reading from the beggining. :)

It's nothing at all like the June I bought well labeled but you'll read all about it up above, Sylvia.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Jeez, Pirl, if you're like me you have hosta out in your gardens that you bought that you don't remember you bought. (I tend to buy them again. :) LOL) I found hosta when I was thinning out some self sown seedlings last summer that I totally forgot I had.

Ah, it could very well be "Touch of Class" as TOC is a June sport..

From the Hosta Library "My Hostas Database":

"This has a really heavy leaf. It feels thick. It has an outstanding chartreuse color, blue and chartreuse, very striking. It hasn't been released for sale yet. We're trying to build up the stock. We're not sure when it will be available for sale.
If you are already excited about hostas, wait until you see Hosta 'Touch of Class'. This is the first in a series of intentional hosta conversions from diploid to tetraploid. H. 'Touch of Class' comes from the popular Hosta 'June'. The central pattern of the doubly thick leaves is chartreuse-gold, surrounded by a very wide blue-green border. In midsummer the 2' wide clumps are topped with thick 2' tall scapes of light lavender flowers. We have grown this side by side with Hosta 'June' for several years and find H. 'Touch of Class' more intensely and more dramatically colored...we think you will agree! "

Obviously, this comment was a while ago, because as we all know, Touch of Class is now in the market and I'm glad of it. :)

Diann

This message was edited Jan 4, 2009 10:07 PM

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Diann - probably quite awhile ago as I bought mine in 2004 in Canada and new varieties are a bit slower to appear here than in the US. I've found it a much slower grower than June, but I DID divide it to share with Sandy a couple of years back and I'm anxious to see how it does in a location that has more light and more moisture than where it was before.

Ann

Ticker - I do keep names and this garden is so tiny that I prided myself (translate - fooled myself) in thinking I had every name to every plant - that's plain to see since that one is lacking a tag in the ground. Thank you for that description. It certainly is more striking/stunning/glorious than the June that's planted on the right side of that garden.

ViolaAnn - enjoy your TOC.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

I'm not very experienced, but the two that came to my mind were Jewel of the Nile and Montana. Whatever it is, it, and the rest of your garden, is lovely.

Thank you, daiseycat. Neither of those names are plants I've ever bought but I do appreciate your help.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Pirl - since, as you've seen, tags can disappear, for the future, try taking regular pictures of your Hostas and even more important, labelling them. Then is a marker disappears, you'll be able to identify it either by its looks or by the other things in the picture that help you to pinpoint the location. I've referred back to mine over and over again.

Ann

Thanks, Ann. I have over 19,000 photos on Picasa and plenty of that plant but none with an ID. Normally I do take a photo of each one I buy and the place I plant it, then I file it by plant and by garden in Picasa. This one somehow escaped me.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Ah, nothing worse than a hosta going rouge on ya! :)

Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

It kinda reminds me of my Great Expectation? It is the hosta at the front middle of this picture.

....susan

Thumbnail by dovebydesign
Greentown, IN(Zone 5b)

Here maybe is a better up close of GE but not as much of the hosta showing....I hope this helps a bit.

Susan

Thumbnail by dovebydesign
Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

Being a bit new to hostas - or any other plant that is, don't know exactly either but I was thinking "great expectations". There are so many that look very close to that. My Paul's Glory is a bit different that your picture so I'm pretty sure that's not it. HTH.

Kristy

Thanks dove and 2racingboys. There is some similarity and yet, once again, I've never owned GE so I'd have to eliminate it. It's just SO blue that it can't be Paul's Glory. My best bet will be to divide it and put some of it in more sun so we have a better chance at identifying it.

I appreciate your help.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

pirl,

i've spent the better part of this snowy morning, browsing hosta photos trying to ID your gorgeous specimen.

It's weird how your plant can look so different at times, though i guess they all go thru that... with maturing and with different growing conditions too.

Quoting:
Here the leaves look much darker. Photo taken (oddly enough) exactly three years later - 2008-0909.

that one "dark" image sorta reminder me of my Midwest Magic ... and when i checked the "Library" for it... there was only one image that looked like it... others did not.

though with all the images i looked at, on about 10 different hosta sites, the only one that is similar to that is June, though yours does look much "bluer".

Got me pretty well stumped.

One thing i usually do when trying to ID something... I go thru my process of elimination of knowing all the plants i have, where they are all located, then the ones i do not have IDs for - i'll make my list and search from there.

Though -- guess not much else to do until next season when it's growing again...

but sure nice to look at on these 'wintery days'.

How sweet of you. Thank you for spending the time looking.

There are a few mini's at the front, Sagae, June and Remember Me along with Paradigm on the right, Golden Tiara in the center, Kabitan on the left and then the puzzling plant. It's not Red October, which was there once. Time will tell, I hope, what it really is.

Dallas, TX

You guys surehave some beautiful shade gardens! I need more stone and rocks in mine. I have been so busy planting trees. I have not thought of anything else. Just got a copy of Fine Gardening in the mail (I never ordered) and it has a great article called Bringing Sun&Shade Together. Hopefully I can come up with something creative.

Thank you, Sylvia. I don't have enough trees. We always seem to have too much of something or not enough.

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Sylvia, Didn't Dave offer us a free copy of a mag a few months ago? Maybe that is it. I don't have one yet. BEV

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/905698/

The above link is in reference to the free issue.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.