Hymenocallis spp

Coffs Harbour, Australia

My Spider lilies have been affected with, what I think is a fungal disease. I tried a spray of bordeaux mixture, but haven't seen any sign of improvement. I think I should pull them out and dispose of them, as I'm afraid it will spread to Agapanthus and my Bromeliads? The lilies are under eucalypt trees, and I wondered if this may be the cause? Nearly every leaf, young and old, is affected.
Some leaves are distorted, so I also wondered if it could be a virus, or a complex of them both?
Any help would be appreciated. I didn't want to go to the effort of digging them out (huge border of them) but I also don't want to be spraying chemicals about regularly.
Sue
If you need more photos or information, I am happy to oblige

Thumbnail by weed_woman
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

That looks like tomato spotted wilt virus. I didn't know if your plant was susceptible, so I looked it up, and found it is one of many that indeed can be infected. http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Virus_SpottedWilt.htmI I also checked to see if it is a problem in Australia, and found that to be true too. http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/205130/Western-flower-thrips-and-tomato-spotted-wilt-virus.pdf It is spread by thrips, and is incurable. The only thing you can do is dig them up and toss them in your trash. Don't compost them. And then you need to deal with the thrips. Good luck!!

Here's another site that has some good info on the thrips. http://plantpath.ifas.ufl.edu/takextpub/FactSheets/circ0914.pdf

In the second link I gave you - the one from Australia - I noticed there was a place to send samples for an accurate diagnosis. There may be one even nearer you, I don't know. But before you dig up your plants, I would suggest that you do this.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

Thanks CJ! I looked at all the links, and it seems as though TSWV is a distinct possibility. It kinda has that mosaic look about it. I have already begun to dig out the plants, and am disposing of them off site. (local tip) Some of the lilies in other locations do not show any signs, but I think I will remove them also, incase they are susceptible.
Thanks again for your research. Yes, I can send samples to the lab, but it's upwards of $90, and think of all the plants I could purchase with that! LOL.
Cheers
Sue

I would keep the other lilies if they're not showing signs. However, when/if they do - out they go.

When you replant, be sure to replant with something that isn't susceptible. But I'm sure you already know that.

The worse case of thrips my garden ever had, was the year I planted a bunch of wildflowers. After they went down in the spring, the thrips moved onto my other plants. The roses were horribly affected.

Coffs Harbour, Australia

I haven't seen any thrips, (did a pest and disease course module last year) on other plants from my garden, and a fellow student bought in leaves of Hymenocallis from another garden with the same problem. She never found any bugs at all. We had the option of sending one plant problem in for analysis, but they sent a cordyline australia purpurea in instead. It looked like it had the mosaic virus, and guess what, it had the mosaic virus! LOL. Thats how I know it costs $90 for a sample.
I wish I had a stereoscope at home to have a look!
Thanks again.
Sue

Well then you know how extremely small they are. Very, very difficult to see. What you do see is the result (symptom) of their existence. Since thrips spread the virus, they are there. Or at least, have been.

You're very welcome.
CJ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.