Looking in on my blue birds

Stafford County, VA

Thumbnail by 2dCousinDave
Stafford County, VA

For some reason this server is not uploading my images. Maybe it is too busy.

Stafford County, VA

Stafford County, VA

fff

Stafford County, VA

mmm

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

2nd Cousin Dave, you could never post too many pics!

I have never had the opportunity to see them up close or with such detail as your pics provide. It truly is a delight to see that one of your threads has been updated.

Please continue to post as often as you have the time and pictures.

Thanks,
Nan

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

70s!!!

Send some of that MY WAY

Stafford County, VA

Wish I could, Marna. Unfortunately, we are soon to get temps more like you have.

You've heard me say that females don't get that "mad" look you often see in the males. This is about as much as I have seen in a female.

Dave

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Dave, absolutely LOVE the last photo. I've had a second good laugh today. Thanks. Lee

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice shots Dave. They must feel really comfortable with you to allow such closeness.

Stafford County, VA

Well sorta Al. Don't forget I have something they want. And I've never made a menacing move toward them. They seem to worry more about other things like hawks and even mockingbirds. I have several mockers that love to chase the blues, just for sport.

Lee, here is a male. He can look a lot madder than the female, especially if you shoot down at him. There's something about those bulging eyes looking up at you, and that forehead.

South Hamilton, MA

She really looks like she is disgusted to me. Type of expression I tried to use on the kids when they still were such. Birds do it better, sigh.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Dave, love the shot of the male too. You should print up some and have some cute cards made of them. Lee

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Beautiful photos, as always, Dave. I was showing your photos to my wife this morning. We commented about the ones with the blueberries and she mentioned how expensive blueberries are at the grocery store. I said Dave doesn't cut corners with the food supply. However, the reward is in their constant presence. Excellent photos of the Red-bellied Woodpecker, also.

I should be spending more time on creating a real nice habitat including improved bird "stations" to better photograph my visitors. I have an in-ground swimming pool that I have been giving serious thought to filling in. That would provide me with a little more ground surface to position some new bird stations a little closer to the house.

Happy New Year to you and your family. May 2009 continue to reward you with more Bluebird fledglings.

Stafford County, VA

Thanks Charlie. Good Health and Happiness in the New Year to you and to yours.

Dave

Stafford County, VA

Lots of cold wind here yesterday and again today. The poor birds had to hang on tight to keep from being blown off the perch.

Stafford County, VA

Today was really cold. The BB's were back to the feeder every half hour or so.

Stafford County, VA

Interesting how the birds fluff up their feathers when it is cold. Must be better insolation.

Stafford County, VA

What a pitiful sight. She may look mad but she actually is saying the meal worm bowl is empty

Stafford County, VA

I always try to catch them in the air. It isn't easy. Sometimes I am too fast and I get them just as they are taking off.

Stafford County, VA

Stafford County, VA

And finally, this one which I rather like.

Marlton, NJ

That is a great one Dave. There all beautiful and I also like the windy one.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Yes, Pell and I have the same taste I guess. The windy one made me smile and that last one makes me just makes me gasp!

Lovely.

More beautiful shots, Dave ..... I am envious !

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

"Life is not about how many breaths you take, rather what takes your breath away." , comes to mind. 2DC many of your shots are breath taking! Happy New Year to all. :)

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

National Wildlife Federation has a photo contest that you should look into.

Orchard Park, NY

Love the grape photos with mama Dave. They just never ever let down their guard when it comes to their nest box! Thanks for your beautiful photos.

Stafford County, VA

Thanks everyone. It's so nice to hear you like my pics. I appreciate it.

OP, are you and your students planning to try bluebirding again this season?

Dave

Dave, I looked at the National Wildlife Federation winning photo (First place) for the category 'Backyard Habitat'. It just happens to be a Bluebird sitting on a fence during a snowstorm. In all due respect to the winning photo you have many that are equal to or better than the winning photo. The National Wildlife Federation stated that they received 50,000 entries.

My attitude of photo contests is this: It's okay to enter but never get your hopes up that you will win. In this type of contest, a few people (sometimes 1 or 2) will make the determination. "Judges" have different sets of eyes and different tastes. Actually Dave's Garden photo contest is a better "contest" since it takes the decision out of the hands of one or two individuals.

Anyway, take a look at that photo and compare it to some of your Bluebird images. You win, hands downs !!! (IMHO) There are some "neat" photos in the various categories including the Bluebird image.

Although I don't wish snow upon you, I look forward to seeing some of your Bluebirds "frolicking" in the snow.

Orchard Park, NY

Good question Dave. I would really love to, but feel badly encouraging them with nesting boxes and then feeling responsible when they are attacked like they were last summer.

I put feeders out again this winter because I want my students to enjoy watching the birds. We're getting a few juncos, mourning doves and blue jays, but a couple hosp visit the feeder too. I'm trying to convince the custodian to put chicken wire, or something, over the fire bells and block up the holes in the brick wall to discourage them from staying.

I have 3 months to decide! Thanks for asking.

Long Island, NY(Zone 6b)

Amazing detail and clarity. I love your photos. I don't have BB's in my backyard so seeing yours totally makes my morning!

Stafford County, VA

Hey Linth

Thanks for the flattering comments and I did go look at the winning pic. Somehow to me it looked very "set up" with the barbed wire and everything. And I noticed the winner's name was Michael L. Smith, who lives in New Winsor, Maryland.

I was instantly struck by how much this bird looked like the famous "mad bluebird" you see everywhere on coffee cups and the like. Coincidentally, the original "mad bluebird" picture was taken in 1979 by a man also named Michael L. Smith, who also happens to live in New Winsor, Maryland. It appears to be the very same guy. I wonder if the National Wildlife Federation is aware of that.

Both birds are cute but neither look much like the bluebirds I see. Even the mad ones and even allowing for the snow. The winning entry looks more like a painting or something you've run through Photoshop, trying to make it look like the "mad bluebird."

The colors in both pics are over saturated by my taste. Of course, you don't know how far the bird was from the camera and how much light was available. It was entered in the professional category but it looks more like it was shot at close range with a P&S camera, in which case the in-camera editing might explain the saturation.

I'd like to see the original, unedited shot, or at least the EXIF information.

I am anxious to shoot more in the snow. I know it is hard but maybe I will get lucky.

I looked quickly through my files and haven't yet found anything worth showing, except one with a flake is on his back, unmelted, and this one with snowflakes on his head.

Dave

This message was edited Jan 3, 2009 5:04 PM

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

That is a great shot!

Stafford County, VA

Here is the other one I mentioned. It apparently didn't take the first time.

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

I have to tell you Dave, your pictures are just plain outstanding!! I just love seeing all of them!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Ditto that!

Stafford County, VA

Here is another cold weather shot. Just a little snow under his feet.

Stafford County, VA

And this one was taken in September. Don't know why he is so fluffy. I rather like the back lighting effect.

Marlton, NJ

Love the cold weather one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.