CLOSED: Corylus americana

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

I purchased a pound of nursery seed for Corylus americana. It was the smallest quantity available but is more than I need for my own planting purposes. Before I start stratifying them I just wanted to check to see if anyone is looking for this species. I would be interested in trading for other edible shrubs...or just about anything else ;)

~Amanda

Thumbnail by Spookycharles
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Amanda is that a hazelnut tree? I haven't seen one of those since I was a kid. I forgot they grew here. Ill look and see what I have for edible shrubs that you might like.
Robin

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Robin,

Yes indeed. These are seeds for the North American native hazelnut, the American Hazelnut. From what I've read (I've grown the Beaked Hazelnut which is supposed to be similar, but this is my first time trying the American) it's much smaller in all respects than some of the other species out there.

These are supposed to top out in the 10' range, maybe up to 15' as a mature unpruned specimen, with a similar spread but supposedly can be pruned to stay in the six foot range for easy harvest. The nuts are also smaller than the European/Turkish filberts but are supposed to be very tasty and of course wildlife of all sorts is supposed to love them.

If that sounds like something you'd like to try I'd love to try some seeds for the Polanisia dodecandra if you currently have some available.

~Amanda

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

That's Great I will send them out.
Thank You Amanda for the fond memories and the seed.
Robin

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Robin. I've been wanting to try the Polanisia dodecandra and am so very glad to hear that the hazelnuts are heading for a loving home. I'll get them packed up and heading your way.

~Amanda

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I do not have any edible shrubs at the moment to trade. Can we work something else out? Maybe postage? I do not know if this is allowed but maybe a couple extra $$ to help defray what it cost you to buy more than you needed?

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Kathy,

Absolutely. If you have seeds for anything else that would be great and if not postage would be fine too and we can do a trade later when you do have seeds available. They didn't cost too much so no worries about financial compensation - it was the smallest quantity available and I'm more than happy to share the extras.

I just put them in the fridge the other day but they shouldn't mind coming out for their trip to you. They're not too large and should travel fine in a bubble envelope so if you want to send one my way (I'm in the address exchange) I'll send a nice little pile of seeds pack your way.

~Amanda

Eunice, MO(Zone 5b)

I will send you a sasbe on Monday. Thanks much and will look forward to another trade later. It is my understand that hazel nuts do very well in this area.

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

That will be great. I'll watch for the envelope. And from what I know of them, I also think they should grow marvelously in your area - I'm not sure how much the state they're naturally found in but this particular species is a Missouri native so they should be right at home in your garden.

~Amanda

Brunswick, GA(Zone 9a)

Hi Amanda, i would like to have some of those seeds if they would grow in my zone.
I gave up on the Acer seeds, although it was not your fault. Probably somebody in the area got them. And i'm having good luck with the Pindo butia capitata sprouting. I tossed some of the seeds on the ground and steped on them. I never tried that method before but it works here.

Larry

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello Larry,

That'll be perfect - hopefully these ones will actually make it. According to USDA's Plant Database this species is native to Georgia so they should do just fine in your garden. I'll get some packed up and heading your way. And that's an interesting idea for the Butia capitata. I might just give that a try if mine get to be stubborn.

~Amanda

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Amanda I have a pack of Ricincus Castor Oil Bean seeds. Would love a couple nut seeds. I have chokcherrys, no seeds. Never thought of it befor DG. Thanks Terry Don't know what kind of chokcherry????

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

That would be fabulous - I'll get some nuts packed up for you. I have seeds for the chokecherry (Prunus virginiana) coming, but I'd love some Ricinus Castor Oil Bean seeds. I'll D-Mail my info over.

Thanks,
Amanda

North, TX

Hi Amanda, I have no edible shrub seeds yet but I can offer seeds for:
Tx Wild tomato, Lycopersicon esculentum
(wild) Tomatillo, Physalis philadelphica
Lindenleaf Sage, Salvia Tiliifolia (sometimes listed as tiliafolia)
Greens, Brassica campestris
Confederate Rose-Red, Hibiscus mutabilis

If you would like any seeds in trade for a few hazelnut seeds.

edited to say: I realize all of my seed offerings are "wild" so can pay postage if you prefer, and if you still have seeds to spare.

This message was edited Jan 20, 2009 11:23 AM

Langley, WA(Zone 8b)

Hello,

That would be wonderful and certainly no need to apologize for them being wild. I've been collecting species seeds so that's perfect and I've been specifically looking for seeds for Lycopersicon esculentum so I would absoltuely love to try that one.

If I have anything else you're interested in I would also love to try some of the Physalis philadelphica and Salvia tiliifolia.

~Amanda

North, TX

What a great list you have, I hope to accomplish the same for my garden!!!
I will dmail you. And thank you!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.