Black kite (Milvus migrans)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thumbnail by Dinu
Blenheim, New Zealand

that's a stunning photo Dinu ,

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Thanks bootandall. That electric pole top is a favourite spot for kites, crows and mynas. They frequently stop over there and survey the area if they can find some food from that vantage point.

Marlton, NJ

Such a handsome bird.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Its flight is quite majestic and I stand still to watch it hover above our house and neighbouring trees. Sometimes they are doing that way up from the ground only visible in a tiny dot! Watching them do that is so relaxing. It has a nest in the neighbour's tree.

Blenheim, New Zealand

that would be great to see.

I have been told that there is one ( poor bird ) in New Zealand, and it is a few Kms from where I live.

I hope I see it one Day!! and hope it is, like yours.

PERTH, Australia

Any idea how it got to NZ, Boots? Is it a vagrant or an escaped captive bird?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I'll try and take a movie of it gliding across peacefully. Viewing it could be a relaxing experience.

Blenheim, New Zealand

Margaret, vagrant was mentioned....must have went high, as Dinu says they do, and glided to here.

Dinu, love to see a movie of the kite, let me know when you do.

boot

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Oh yes, I surely will post - may be on youtube and give a link here.

BTW, bootandall, my good friend from here is studying in Auckland now. He's enjoying his time and countryside there. In our cricket team, we miss him, but he's gone for improving his career. How far is Blenheim from there? (Sorry this is off subject in thread)

Dinu

Blenheim, New Zealand

Dinu your good friend who is studying in Auckland is 686km (426 miles) away. He is near the top of the North Island.
and I live near the top of the South Island. its great to hear that he is enjoying the countryside, not far to travel. from beach to mountain here.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

My friend and you are far apart than I thought!

I've taken a short video of the kites as planned. Hope to get it up soon.

Blenheim, New Zealand

will look forward to seeing that.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

As promised, I finally have a short video online. It is of Brahminy Kite. There are also a few black kites in the frame. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eLzWK2KVko&feature=youtu.be

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.