Newbie Here

Schererville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hi All!!

I am a newbie to dahlia's....I planted my first bunch of dahlia's last year and loved them!! They were just the mixed bags from Menards.....and then I bought 2 so called named ones.....I loved how they just kept on blooming, but did not like how winds would crack and snap the plant.......I did stake them......that helped lots, but I hear that you can get them that are more sturdy.....can you tell me where to order? Or names of ones that are better? Any help would be appreciated.......I dug what I had and they are in the basement....I will still plant these, but would like some more.....Thanks a lot!! :-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome LucyGoose. All standard size dahlias need staking. Tis their nature. There are thousands of beautys out there to choose from. On this forum the members have posted alot of pictures and often comment on the dahlias that worked well and maybe not so well for them so read the threads. When you find a dahlia you would like you can always ask about that one specifically or use the plant scout in the 'sticky' at the top of the forum to find a supplier. This is also a good site for sourcing http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm
If you find a dahlia on line and are unsure of the supplier DG Watchdog is a good check or ask here about them because it's likely someone will know about them.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Extra potassium in the fertilizer might help I hear. But I use stretch tie on every branch, wrapping it twice on the pole and on the branch. This is the brand I use:

http://terradisiac.com/products.php?pid=554&openparent=149

If you've got a BIG bloom it can help sometimes to tie it high on the stem. Its always a consideration of leverage where its best to tie. Just imagine a big wind and where the branch would be best supported to keep it from snapping.

You can go through a lot but its cheap at least.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

We use 1/2 " OD PVC pipe, cut into 5 foot lengths, with about one foot sunk into the ground. The tying begins when the plant is between 12" and 18" tall. The grey colored pvc is UV resistant and just a bit more $. Our Ace Hdw. store sells green surveyors type tape, it is about one inch wide and it will last several seasons. The stems are tied again about every one to two feet, depending on how juicy/crisp the stems are. If a windstorm is forecast then I go out and check to see if everyone is secure. I will also use old cotton t-shirts cut into strips.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I use really thick bamboo stakes and strips of pantyhose for tying. I stake each stalk and tie as they grow depending on stalk width/strength like granny marsh. Like todgor I tie right at the top under the bloom if its an AA/A.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Welcome Lucy,
So glad to have another dahlia fan aboard. What colors and size of blooms are you looking for in particular? Do you like to just have them blooming in your landscape or do you want to cut them for bouquets? All of those factors figure into recommendations.

Ditto on the tying- very important. I like the skinnier plastic tape Todgor linked, preferring the 1/2 inch or less width. One can find it at farm stores with a garden section or nurseries for $2-3/roll. If I were less busy, I'd reuse it from season to season, but it's easier just to toss it each fall. I'll take the 'anti-green' criticism in stride as I make up for it in other ways... Nylon tights or pantyhose last for years; they're nearly indestructible compared to Tshirt strips which I find will sometimes deteriorate in one season when exposed to moisture and sun. (Those are probably my 15 yr old T shirts barely holding together anyway!) But nylon ties or plastic tape is really much more durable for me.

When I tie branches as they grow, it's pretty much just a big hug around the plant, considering the heaviest points of leverage as Tod said. The young ones just need a little support when they're about 15-18" to keep them upright/protected. Not too tight so as to constrict growth, but not so loose that they'll be subject to wind/heavy weighing down with rainfall. Like Granny, if I know a big rain/wind is coming, I'll go snug up my ties to sort of batten down the plants, especially with heavy blooms in progress. I've been known to be out there with lightning flashing and winds swirling.

Strong stems- Wynne's dahlias breed their large varieties with stem quality in mind: and they are stout! The Karma Dahlias are bred for stem/bloom quality; If you say what colors you'd like to grow, I bet posters would chime in on which ones they've grown that might suit your taste, bloom well, and have good to excellent stems.
Poochella

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

The 'hug' is a great analogy.

Wow!! Thanks everyone!! I have to say, that I am just a newbie to Dalia's....Not Dave's garden or gardening....LOL....although, I don't post much as I am really into the dog club here and running agility with Willie.....LOL....I lurk here and there or post a question....I sure will look into the link togdor and Poochella Thanks a lot for that information.....That helps!!

I don't know which I like best....LOL....they all were pretty showy to me and they were just a bag from Menards, so if I look into the other better ones, I know I will love them more!

Thanks everyone!!! :-) Going to go hunt around now......:-)

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I use tomato cages turn upside down, big end down then cut the rods off and use as anchors to hold in place. But get the big ones. Works

Thumbnail by tillysrat

Thanks for the tip!!! :-)

Bend, OR(Zone 5a)

Has anyone used these?

I think they look cool but will they work?

http://www.gardeners.com/Rainbow-Spiral-Supports/36-377,default,pd.html

Ginger

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good question. They look pretty thin. I think it depends how much wind you have. Bet they would work great for tomatos though.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've been seeing that several use upside down tomato cages, but I'm curious about something; what's the benefit of turning them upside down? I've used them right side up before, and did have some issues with the whole cage and all blowing over. They weren't the large cages, so maybe that was the issue there.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Turning them over puts the broader base of the cage on the soil to discourage tipping over. They work really well.
http://dahlias.net/dahwebpg/Support/NoStake.htm

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Thats what I use and it works very well.

Hi Annie, sad news I lost Pooh. I need to find another, any ideas ????????

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I have one idea: Go to the Poulsbo Dahlia sale tomorrow if you can and search for Pooh! I'll go to the Puget Sound Dahlia Association tuber sale tomorrow and seek out two Poohs: one for each of us. No guarantee it will be there, but if I find one it's yours. There are a couple others I mercilessly slayed that I'd like back so I can easily rationalize going.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I so wish I could go, I have to work. You check it out. I'll get back to you.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Sending, DH Hope this works. with my friend who gave me the first one. If found, one is yours. Both sides of the pond, may hit pay dirt, and will get 2 each LOL.
I was so sad to fine it was gone, had it for 3 yrs. I have a new plan on my Dals, they will live in pots and I can winter them in the mower barn. I dug up some of the others, not sure as yet but the tubers where firm. Also lost Vancover.
This winter was bad here.

This message was edited Apr 2, 2009 8:31 PM

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pooch, now it makes sense to me! The plants tend to be broader at the bottom too, so I imagine the cages would show up less that way too.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You're welcome Gemini_sage. You won't notice much of the cage at all, especially if you top the plant and encourage bushier growth. You can see 'topping' tips at www.dahlias.net also.

Tils, I've probably been the only NW inhabitant who didn't feel this winter was too bad at all except the Christmas mess, until this a.m. when we have 2 inches of snow and more heartily falling! NOW I'm with you- enough already. I want to dig, and not in the snow either.
Will keep you posted on the hunt for "Pooh."

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

So sorry to hear about Pooh {{{{ Tillys}}}}

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh poor you, I wish we would get on with spring.

I found a place to get another Pooh, and she lives close by. Was a member of the Dahlia Society, but quit. Found out about her from the friend who gave me Pooh.
I think she charges 4 or 5 dollars for a tuber. I will definitely get one for you Annie as I fell I still owe you for all my Daylilies, and all are coming up nicely.

Thank you DN, I was very sad to lose it.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Excellent scouting Mary. You don't owe me a thing, I'll gladly take a Pooh if you keep it around $5. I did go to the PSDA sale Friday, but had no luck because the sale was on Saturday! I still can't believe I did that. Unfortunately, work was a madhouse yesterday with no chance for escape until way too late.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm on it, you get one LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well that's certainly one way of ensuring you don't buy too much Pooch ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.