Suggestions for Garden Structure

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

All these wind and snow storms have taken a toll on my fan trellis. It was a cheap wooden one but did the job for several years. The wind must have caught the top and broke it in half, folded down on itself. So it will have to be replaced. What works well for you? Wood or metal? A tripod or columnar shape? Pics would be nice. Appreciate your input.

Thumbnail by ngam
Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I'm partial to copper. I bought this, but it can be made with plumbing stuff. Probably won't come out as nice but it's an option. There are many plans on the web.

Thumbnail by victorgardener

Should have said that copper structures in general can be DIY projects - not that one specifically. It would be WAY too difficult!

10' bamboo stalks in a tripod would be my goal with viners.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I need a new trellis too, I had some lattice that I had gotten from a friend and the squirrels wrecked it.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I like the copper too Victor. The clem is a minimal prune type so I want something relatively low maint, and fairly permanent, so metal or painted wood like cedar is my first choice I think. Do you have a problem with the metal heating up in the sun? With the tendrils clinging to the metal is this a problem you have noticed? I have another clem on a metal trellis and almost every year it dies off when it gets hot, and I now suspect the metal may get too warm for the plant in the sun.

That trellis is not in full sun and has a honeysuckle on it. I have another copper arch arbor with a New Dawn rose and The President clem on it. Before that I had hops on it. Never noticed any problem with overheating. However, so far, the clem winds around the rose, not the arbor.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I use both. Wood in sheltered spots. I have stained all the wood. Metal in gale force spots and where I want it for aesthetics. I'm also trying plastic cedar coloured lattice on shed walls because 1) cheap like borscht 2) doesn't look like plastic 3) should last way longer than wood and I don't want to have to take down the roses/clemmies to replace it.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I guess I will have to get out there and check around to see what materials are available. Been looking for ideas on-line too.
http://www.plowhearth.com/category.asp?section_id=2008&department=3064&search_type=category&search_value=1127

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

ngam check out the froggie raingauge too. I'm always looking for new ones as the h*a*i*l smashes them. http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?section_id=2004&search_type=featured&search_value=3049&cur_index=2&pcode=6235

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

ngam - i have a couple trellis that i thought i got from plow & hearth although they weren't on the link will have to think about where else i may have got them. one i like very much - i'll try and get a pick tomorrow.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

still swear i got these at P&H - this one has three panels. tried it for a clem and decided that did not like where it was so now it is for cukes.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

this one i like a lot except for my neighbors yard in the background - it is like the serengeti!

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i built this myself for three clem's that should gorw to 10ft. in time.

Thumbnail by wha
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those 3 are all great. Is the 3 sided one fixed or can you adjust the angle degree on the side panels? What 3 clemmies are you putting together? Inquiring minds need to know all the details.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi dnut - you can adjust the panel one - i originally had it around a birch tree and just did not like it there - in the magazine it was shown against a home. it is also a little short maybe 5 ft. tall in the center. works good for the cukes though.

the three clems i will have to think about - i know one is barbara harrington (red). still not dark yet so just becuase you danced so nice i run out and check. ok, piilu, and francesca maria which i'm on my second plant as the other did not make it. now if the chipmunks would stop eating the stems the trellis will fill in.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I want something to screen a BBQ on 2 sides but not cast too much shade - that will be perfecto. I shall look for one here. The piilu clemmie is outstanding according to googleguy. Group B doesn't do well here though :( I didn't know chipmunks ate plants. I thought they were a nut/seed eating varmit.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

it could be cousin squirrel - bast.............

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hopefully not a relative of Damien the Spawn of Satan Tree Rat who lives in my garden. If so, be afraid wha. Be VERY afraid.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

not to fear i have my bill murray camouflage and the means if it comes to that. just none of that special grass..............

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

One of Damien's cousins...the infamous Seattle type Squirrel: over-caffeinated.

Thumbnail by Katye

Is that why Starbucks started out there??

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think I met that squirrel Katye when I lived in Vancouver BC and spent alot of time in Seattle ^_^ Great poster. Thanks for sharing.

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

His relatives live on my property.
They share all coffee drinks; the Venti is affectionately known as the "crowd pleaser". Just look at his face - he's a happy little guy!
It gets pretty busy here in the summer - these guys can harvest a vegetable garden with extreme rapidity after caffeine consumption.
Seattle Squirrels are known for frequenting BC - their little thumbs work well for hitchhiking...

Snake gut eating weasels!

The Monadnock Region, NH(Zone 5a)

Victor, when you mentioned the copper structure that you had built, did you do your own welding on it?

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Great suggestions here. I like the three panel ones too.
I have two of those rain gauges,well similar at any rate, nice to know you can get a replacement tube cause one of mine got broken.
As to the squirrels on caffeine, that is really a frightening thought, squirrels are psychotic naturally and the idea of them on speed...yikes!

No, Candyce. The one I showed was made and shipped. The arch arbor came as a kit and I put it together with epoxy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.