CLOSED: Need help with this bird

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

I think it's a Pine Sisken however, it looks like a female House Finch. They look so much alike, at least to me.

Thanks

This message was edited Dec 28, 2008 8:24 PM

Thumbnail by Methodical
Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

2nd shot

Thumbnail by Methodical
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Hi Met...looks like a female Purple Finch to me. The Pine Siskin has a very pointed beak.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to female Purple Finch

Resin

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Man my Bird ID'g skills need help.

Thanks

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Also looks like a female Purple Finch to me but I'm not an expert. Please tell me (or better, show me) the pictures of the female Purple and female House finches. Those two look so much alike it's really hard to tell them apart.

Ann

Female House Finch has a blander, less well-marked face, without those two pale stripes; also its bill is more curved on top.

Resin

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you, Resin. I have looked at pictures until I'm blue in the face. Those are certainly subtle differences. I'll check that all out again.

Ann

Clinton, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey Dellrose I just compared the 2 birds and I can definitely see the difference in the beaks. I will pay attention to birds beaks that look similar to me as that may be the tell tell sign.

Resin, the 2 pictures I compared (all about birds site) of the Female Pine Sisken and the Female House Finch, it looks like the house finch has the 2 pale stripes around the eyes unless you are talking about some other pale stripes. Let me know.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Pine_Siskin.html
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/House_Finch.html

Thanks

This message was edited Dec 30, 2008 9:09 AM

Very faint, hardly visible at all - compare with your photos which show very obvious white eyebrow and 'moustache'.

Resin

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Here are side by side pix of the pine siskin and the female purple finch this fall.

You can clearly see the "eyebrow" on the female purple finch on the right.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Puyallup, WA(Zone 8b)

That is a GREAT picture mrs ed, very helpful. I think you should add it to both the siskin and finch entries in bird files (with appropriate labels of course) because it really helps to see them together like that.

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Ah, that's a good idea. maybe a female house finch along with them.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Excellent idea...last year was so confusing trying to see the difference!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.